Mom. Mommy. Mama. Mother. Mum. Mammy. Madre. So many words to describe the role, but so few that can adequately explain the wonder of motherhood and just how much it means. It's such a unique, unfathomable experience, it can be difficult to capture in words.
But thankfully some have done so beautifully and poignantly. As Mother's Day approaches, they provide inspiration for us to express to our own mothers how we feel about them and reflection for our own roles as mothers. Here are 12 of my favorite quotes about motherhood that are sure make you at least a little weepy ... in no particular order:
1. The real religion of the world comes from women much more than from men -- from mothers most of all, who carry the key of our souls in their bosoms. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
2. She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn't take them along. -- Margaret Culkin Banning
3. A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. -- Washington Irving
4. My mother is a poem
I'll never be able to write,
though everything I write
is a poem to my mother.
-- Sharon Doubiago
5. Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world a mother's love is not. -- James Joyce
6. The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. -- Carrie Latet
7. My mother's love for me was so great I have worked hard to justify it. -- Marc Chagall
8. My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual, and physical education I received from her. -- George Washington
9. The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. -- W.R. Wallace
10. If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much. -- Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis
11. A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. -- Tenneva Jordan
12. To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. -- Maya Angelou
What are your favorite quotes about motherhood?
Image via Dawn Huczek/Flickr