50 Halloween Baby Names: Would You Dare?
by Michele Zipp
September 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Dark, brooding, mystical, magical with a bit of spooky ooky thrown in -- Halloween-inpsired baby names are very enchanting. If I ever have another baby, there are quite a few contenders on this list for a boy or a girl.
The fanaticism of Twilight and True Blood have inspired vampires baby names, but my favorite holiday is also responsible for these delightfully haunting name choices.
- Christine -- Stephen King's evil car is one hot rod of a name.
- Coraline -- Slightly sinister name from the animated film.
- Elvira -- The original mistress of the dark.
- Jezebel -- Evil-minded Phoenician princess who became Queen.
- Luna -- The moon goddess. Latin for moon.
- Raven -- From Edgar Allan Poe's poem.
- Tempest -- Means violent disturbance.
- Morticia -- The mother from The Addams Family.
- Wednesday -- Morticia's daughter.
- Carrie -- Stephen King's prom Queen.
- Rosemary -- Rosemary's Baby is one of the scariest horror films ever.
- Sabrina -- More "Halloween Lite," just like Sabrina, the teenage witch.
- Samantha -- The bewitching mom on Bewitched.
- Tabitha -- Samantha's daughter.
- Lilith -- Thought to be a Biblical she-demon who dabbled in witchcraft.
- Willow -- Means graceful and lithe ... almost ghostly.
- Esmeralda -- The gypsy woman loved by The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Gertrude -- Meaning "spear" and "strength."
- Persephone -- Greek Queen of the underworld.
- Midnight -- Everyone's witching hour.
- Lenore -- Dead girl from Edgar Allan Poe poem.
- Jinx -- Magic charm.
- Heloise -- French nun who betrayed her faith and had an affair.
- Salem -- Where the witch trials happened.
- Desdemona -- Means ill-fated in Greek and thanks to Shakespeare.
- Dante -- Great poet who wrote about hell.
- Edgar -- After the dark poet, Edgar Allan Poe.
- Poe -- His last name makes a great first name, for boys or girls.
- Bram -- Bram Stoker wrote Dracula.
- Damien -- The Omen's demon child.
- Lucifer -- The devil himself.
- Hades -- Ruled the underworld in Greek mythology.
- Osiris -- The Egyptian King of the underworld.
- Odin -- The God of death, magic, and poetry.
- Phoenix -- A mythological beast and symbol of immortality.
- Draco -- Greek for dragon or serpent.
- Frankenstein -- Frank for short. Frankie for cute or even a girl.
- Vlad -- The Impaler.
- Igor -- Often a hunchback lab assistant in old horror films.
- Casper -- The friendly ghost.
- Jason -- Voorhees: King Scary of the slasher flicks.
- Jack -- Go with Pumpkin or Jack "Jack O-Lantern."
- Edward -- For Cullen and Scissorhands.
- Thorne -- Very goth.
- Night -- Strong name ... and when mischief happens.
- Aleister -- "Mr. Crowley" was very involved with the occult.
- Darth -- Darth Vader was a bad dude on Star Wars.
- Fester -- The uncle on The Addams Family.
- Hannibal -- "The Cannibal" may become a vegetarian.
- Lestat -- Anne Rice's vampire played by Tom Cruise.
Would you name your child one of these Halloween-inspired names?
Image via JuhunSonin/Flickr
Halloween Facebook: Click "like" if you love Halloween!