A video currently circulating around the Internet called Reflections of Motherhood asked a number of women to pretend to go back in time and give themselves the advice they wished they'd had.
The results are in this nursing bra-sponsored video, which made me bawl (I am a giant sap).
Still, it's an interesting exercise. What advice would I give my pre-mom self? There is no doubt I had no idea what I was in for. The love I feel for my children is at times more powerful than I ever could have imagined before I had them. For me, this is probably the most shocking thing. I love them so much it frightens me.
Here are the 10 things I would tell my first-time preggo self:
- You will prefer sleep to most things for at least the first year.
- You will love fall in love with your husband all over again and more than you ever imagined you could.
- You will know your mom in a new way (and miss her more).
- You will question your own childhood. Go with it.
- You will do many of the things you think you won't and it will be OK.
- You have no idea what real love feels like yet.
- You will feel more vulnerable and scared in the world.
- You will feel insane. A lot. It's normal.
- Let go of control. The sooner, the better.
- The things you think matter -- perfect hair, cute clothing, nice strollers -- don't matter. Let them go early.
What would you tell your pre-mom self?