My Birth Story: The Baby Wasn't Breathing

newborn twins in father's armsWe're sharing birth stories! Here's one from CafeMom user Charlibabe ...

When I went into labor with my twins, I thought my water was leaking. I waited to go to the hospital because it was a really small leak, if it even was that, and I didn't know if it was just discharge or what not. So I waited till my daughter's bedtime and we headed to L&D. When I got there, they did the strip to test if it was amniotic fluid. It came back indecisive, so they decided to keep me overnight.

After an ultrasound showed my fluids were still okay, they checked me because I mentioned that every time she pushed on my stomach, I'd get wetter. They also saw a trickle of fluid come out as they were checking, so that's when the fun started.


My littlest twin was measuring at 35 weeks and 5 days, and because she wasn't measuring at 36 weeks, hospital protocol said I had to be air-vacced to another facility. Which sucked. An hour in a helicopter with me laying on my side, not able to move, with contractions five minutes a part. Really PAINFUL contractions.

The gave me some magnesium sulfate to stop the labor. I HATE that crap, by the way. But it wasn't as bad as they told me it would be, either. When I arrived at the hospital, I was taken directly to obstetrics triage ... then had to wait two hours in a very uncomfortable waiting area for my turn at a c-section. I tried to sleep, but it wasn't gonna happen. I was happy, though. Once my family arrived, my daughter was allowed back in the triage room.

Once word came that I was next in line, they prepped my hubby and I for the OR. He waited outside while I received my spinal, which was very painful because they couldn't get it in right. Because of the scar from my previous c-section, they had to poke me about 6-8 times before they hit the target. OMG it is painful when they don't hit it. I have a huge bruise on my back from it. The spinal works REALLY fast ... almost takes your breath away when you are laying down.

doctors performing c-section
Maddison greeting the world.
The twins were born a minute apart: Maddison was out first at 5 pounds 8 ounces and 20 inches long at 11:53 a.m. on March 22, 2010. Mitchell was born at 5 pounds 8 ounces at 19.5 inches long at 11:54 a.m. They were just too precious.

Maddison started crying right away, but Mitchell didn't. He  ended up not breathing in recovery (possibly due to apnea?) but hasn't had a problem since. They suspect it may have been due to the magnesium sulfate they gave me.

Mitchell ended up being sent to the NICU in a different facility, so Maddison was not allowed to see her twin brother. That made it very difficult for me to see him as well, mainly because the room we were put in didn't have a nursery and I had to care for her exclusively, without any help from the nurses.

They kept telling me Mitchell would be released in 24 hours. The next day, I was told another 24 hours, and so on. Finally my hubby got really upset. He felt they were keeping him there for no reason. The staff knew I was getting discharged, but they still wanted to keep my baby in the NICU. We found out later it was because he needed two more good feedings to meet the criteria to go home. In the meantime, my hubby got kicked out of the NICU and wasn't allowed back in to see his son. It was horrible, but he received a long apology from Mitchell's doctor later.

Other then that, our stay was pretty good. Maddison has a heart murmur, but it should go away on its own. We are working on feeding now. My 20 month year old daughter, Brooklynn, got to stay in the hospital with me and it was really nice. All in all, the hospital and the staff were great, it's just that the NICU caused us a lot of stress. We are all doing good at home!

Images via Charlibabe

Read More >