My Birth Story: Two Quick Pushes

mom with newborn and two kids
Photo by k_hall1784

We're sharing birth stories! Here's CafeMom member k_hall1784's ...

My story starts on Friday night while I was asleep. I was awaken by annoying (but not really painful) pain. I turned over to drink some water and it went away. When I awoke on Saturday morning, I was doing okay. Still feeling the pain, but it was nothing to be too concerned about.

As the day wore on, I noticed the pain getting somewhat stronger but nothing unbearable. My hubby wasn't home (it was just the kids and I) so I called my mother-in-law and told her what was going on. She asked me all of the usual questions and said I could possibly be in labor. She told me to come to her house just in case.


So, at around 4 p.m. on Saturday, we made our way to her house. While there, the pain got progressively worse, but still nothing that I couldn't deal with. At that point I decided that I was more than likely in labor, seeing that I had been having pain since the night before, even though it wasn't a cramping sensation (like I had been told it would be).

At about 6 p.m., I decided to take a shower because I was really feeling uncomfortable. I then told my MIL that I wanted to wait about another hour and then we could head to the hospital. I didn't want to be sent home. She told me that she didn't think it would be a good idea to wait that long because my pains were coming about every five to seven minutes. So we made our way to the hospital.

We got there at about 6 p.m. By the time they got me up to L&D triage, it was about 6:30. My MIL and my older children, ages 6 and 3, were with me. After the initial round of questions they hit you with, my OB came in and checked me and told me I was at five to six centimeters dilated and that I would probably have the baby sometime that day. Damn near five minutes after they checked me, the pains started getting more and more intense.

My kids were getting nervous, so my MIL decided to run them home (she had called her husband and he was on his way home) and then she would come back to stay with me. Not even five minutes after they left, the heavy-hitting pain started. I was screaming like a madwoman. I kept thinking to myself, I want to do this naturally, I want to do this naturally all while trying to breathe through the contractions.

I then realized that maybe "going natural" wasn't for me. So I began asking for pain medication. I was told I'd have to wait 10 to 15 minutes for it. After about 15 minutes (which seemed hours longer!) of excruciating pain, I felt the urge to push, and I yelled to the nurses outside my room, "I'VE GOTTA PUSH!"

Three of them ran in with bewildered looks on their faces and said, "PUSH!?" I just kept screaming and yelling, "I've gotta push!" My OB came running in and checked me again and said, "OMG! She is gonna have this baby right now!" All I could remember was the scrambling and running around, and within two minutes of my OB realizing that my baby girl was on her way, she told me the next time I needed to push. So I did! With two pushes, my little princess was out and screaming!

When I was finally cleaned up, I called my MIL and told her I'd had the baby. She almost dropped the phone and said, "YOU DID!!!??? We just pulled up to the house!" After I got off of the phone, the nurses came in to check on me and all they could do while laughing was say, "My goodness! How in the world did you go from five to six centimeters to pushing in 20 minutes?!"

My little peanut Journey Nyasia was born on Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 7:11 p.m. She weighed 6 pounds, 13 ounces and was 20 inches long.

I was also told that the next time I get preggo, I need to get a room as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. Everything happened so fast that they didn't even have time to admit me or get my antibiotics started (I tested positive for Group B).

Glad I didn't wait that extra hour to head to the hospital.

And I did go natural after all. Yay me!


Read More >