Flickr: Photo by Daquella manera
I'd never heard of a postpartum belly binder when I was pregnant. And if someone had given me one at my baby shower -- as a recent press release sent to The Stir suggests -- I might have thrown an old fashioned hissy.
But boy do these companies make them sound good.
According to one blog's glowing review of a belly binder (not the one featured in the press release, but they all seem to carry the same sort of commendations), this compression wrap can:
- Speeds up weight loss, for real
- Toning of the abdominal muscles & skin
- Gets organs back in place after the baby
- Brings pliable hips back together to post pregnancy width (I've even heard people say they get SMALLER after using compression wraps...SOLD.)
- Closes the birth canal
- Speeds up getting rid of waste blood
- Promotes great posture
- Protects back, core and legs - think of weight lifters on this one
What, no bringing home the bacon and frying it up in a pan? Truth is, I never tried one, so I really can't say if it does any of that.
But I can tell you I was once pregnant, tried to get back in shape, and four and a half years later am still mourning the sagging skin in my mid-section. Even at a size six, when my muscles were back in shape and I was at my body's optimum (read healthy) weight, my not very elastic skin was a stretch-marked, saggy mess.
It isn't lack of trying. It's genetics.
Will you be picking one up for your postpartum days?