Pregnancy can do all sort of strange things to our skin, so extra pampering (before we have to start buying the Pampers) is important.
I'm a big fan of body scrubs that combine a gritty exfoliant with soothing oil, leaving skin smooth and soft. Unfortunately, many of them are laden with artificial ingredients that can be irritating, or even harmful, to mother and baby. Not to mention, they can be expensive!
The good news is you can whip up your own, all-natural version in just minutes with items you likely have on hand.
One of my favorite DIY body scrub recipes uses coffee as the exfoliant and comes from the Organic Skin Care Directory & Resource.
Morning Buzz Body Scrub
What you need:
1/4 cup freshly ground organic coffee
1/4 cup organic buttermilk
2 Tbsp. organic wheat germ
2 Tbsp. organic honey
1 Tbsp. organic grape seed oil
1 organic egg white
1. In mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, honey, grape seed oil and egg white, mix thoroughly.
2. Slowly add coffee and wheat germ being careful not to clot or clump.
3. Scrub should be smooth and creamy but with a slight grit. Allow to stand.
4. Apply all over in shower or bath using a washcloth or body sponge to aid in exfoliation. Rinse completely. Towel dry and apply moisturizer. Chill remaining scrub if necessary.
I also love this fresh, zesty body scrub recipe from OrganicAuthority:
Lemon-Brown Sugar Body Scrub
What you need:
1/4 cup coarse brown sugar (to gently exfoliate without drying)
1 cup grape seed oil (to moisturize)
1/4 cup grated lemon peel (to invigorate your senses)
1. Mix together all ingredients.
2. Gently rub on your body in a circular motion. Concentrate on rough areas like elbows, knees and heels.
3. Rinse with water.