5 Signs Sarah Palin Is Running for President

Sarah Palin Restoring HonorSarah Palin is running for president.

Or maybe not.

Or maybe ...

Let's stop the whiplash, shall we?

A new survey from 60 Minutes/Vanity Fair estimates 59 percent of Americans don't think everyone's favorite Mama Grizzly has the ability to be an effective president. But here's what the other 41 percent are banking on:


1. She's on a mission to restore America. In keeping with the non-profit status of Saturday's Glenn Beck Restoring Honor rally, Sarah Palin was careful not to get partisan in her keynote speech. But she put out a rallying cry or two: "Let's stand together, let's stand with honor, let's restore America!" You be the judge:

2. She's created her own political action committee (PAC). According to the Federal Election Campaign Act, a PAC is official when it begins "receiving contributions or making expenditures in excess of $1,000 for the purpose of influencing a federal election." Note the last four words.

3. She's actively campaigning for other candidates. Palin may be playing TV host for Fox News and Discovery, but campaigning for Tea Party candidates takes up a substantial amount of her time making it clear she remains on the national political scene. And her endorsements have been strategic: Iowa, South Carolina, Nevada, and California. Her latest coup -- she endorsed unknown Joe Miller in Alaska, and he just upset Sen. Lisa Murkowski by 1,668 votes in the Alaska Republican primary.

4. Republican leaders say she's running. Newt Gingrich is just the latest Republican bigwig to name her as the contender for the presidential bid in 2012. Notably, he plans to run against her.

5. She has said she'd do it. Straight from the horse's mouth:

"It really comes down to it's not being about me, or what I want, or what I predict is gonna happen. ... [I]f the voters of America are in the mood for a kind of unconventional, candid, honest public servant -- it doesn't necessarily have to be me -- but if that's what they're in the mood for, they're going to let that be known, and they're going to help really propel and push that candidate forward, and then that candidate, of course, will make the decision whether to run or not. Don't know if that's going to me, Chris. ... As I've always said, I'm not going to close any door that perhaps would be open."

So ... is she or isn't she?


Image via Alex Wong/Getty Images

Read More >