Mom Warns Parents After Her 1-Year-Old's Sippy Cup Explodes in Her Face

mom claims sippy cup exploded
7KTVB

A sippy cup is the last thing most parents would expect to hurt their child, but one mom is warning parents that they could be a source of hidden danger. Dzevada Becirovic of Boise, Idaho, claims her 1-year-old son's light-up sippy cup exploded in her face while she was filling it with milk, leaving her with burns and chemical exposure to her lungs and face.

  • Becirovic said it was a lithium battery inside the cup that exploded and caused her injuries.

    According to Becirovic, it was an insulated Nuby brand light-up cup that she had recently bought. She says that her son loved it because it was colorful and that she followed the car einstructions, never putting it in the microwave and only hand-washing it. “I was just standing right here. I grabbed milk out of the fridge -- just regular milk. I went and poured it. Turned around to put the milk back, I turned around to grab the lid and I was about to put it on it and it blew,” Becirovic told KTVB.

  • Advertisement
  • After the explosion, the mom says she had a friend come over to watch her three children so she could go to the hospital. 

    “It was super scary," she told KTVB. "I immediately couldn't breathe -- my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn’t stop coughing ... It did a lot of damage, and what would [it] have done in his hands? I don't even want to imagine. I really don't. I'm scared to death of something like this happening again with another product or another toy or happening to somebody else."

  • The mom says she was treated for minor injuries and still has to undergo breathing treatments because of chemicals she inhaled.

    Doctors at the hospital reportedly gave her medication to relax her throat as well. Becirovic, who claims to have bought the light-up cup a week before her accident, told CBS17 she's speaking up because she wants the cups recalled for the safety of other kids.

    "If it had been in [my son's] hands, I really don't even want to imagine what could have happened," she said. "If it choked me up that bad and burned me, it could have taken a limb off a child that little."

  • An attorney for Luv n' Care Ltd., the company that makes the cups, said this is the first complaint the brand has had about the light-up cups.

    He told KTVB that all the cups undergo rigorous testing and inspection before they hit store shelves, and the company does not believe the cup could have exploded if it was being used properly. 

    "Obviously they missed something," Becirovic countered. "I just want to get the word out there in case somebody has it just to throw it away and get it away from a kid’s reach before it hurts them."

    The company is waiting on Becirovic to send in her defective cup so it can run tests to figure out what happened. The mom said she is waiting on legal advice and a third party to inspect the cup before she will be willing to send it back to the manufacturer.

  • The mom's story has left some people skeptical about whether or not she really used the cup properly.

  • Many are convinced that she actually stuck the cup in the microwave and isn't telling the whole story.

  • But others believe the mom deserves the benefit of the doubt until her claims can be fully investigated.

    Becirovic told CBS17 that her motive in sharing her story is to raise awareness, not to attempt to get a payout. "It's not about money. It's not about a lawsuit," she said. " It's [about] getting the word out there because Nuby isn't doing their part. It's obviously not a safe product."

    The company is prepared to fully investigate her claims once it receives the cup.

toddlers