Mom Found Her Toddler Locked in Their Washing Machine & Refuses to Be Shamed for It

Lindsey McIver
Lindsey McIver/Facebook

With the constant pressure to be a perfect parent, it's not always easy to talk about when things go wrong. Especially when it comes to sharing on social media, posting about "close calls" just opens yourself up for harsh criticism. But mom-of-three Lindsey McIver doesn't care who wants to stand in judgement if being vulnerable could help protect a child. That's because what happened the morning after her family bought a new washing machine was so terrifying that McIver decided to put it out there for other parents to learn from.

Advertisement

"I’ve been hesitant to write this post. First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and second, because it’s just really hard to re-live," McIver started her Facebook post.

After McIver's washing machine stoped working on Sunday, she and her husband thought they were treating themselves to a major upgrade when they bought a new front-loading model the next day. "We thought it was the 'new and cool' type of washing machine and didn’t think anything of it. We spent that evening installing it with the kids underfoot," she wrote. "We told them several times that they were not to touch it. They all replied 'OK.'"

Washing machine
Lindsey McIver/Facebook

But early the next morning, the couple's 4-year-old son woke them up. "[He] was crying so hard he could barely talk. As I was trying to understand what he was saying, my husband flew out of bed and down the stairs," she wrote. "It was then that the realization hit. He had said: Kloe. Inside. Washer." 

By the time they reached the laundry room in their basement, they found their 3-year-old daughter locked inside the airtight washing machine and it was tumbling as it filled with water. "She was screaming but you couldn’t hear her. We were able to quickly stop it and unlock the door and get her out," she wrote. "After going through all the 'what if‘s' and 'could have’s' we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter."

Fortunately, Kloe was completely fine and only had a few bruises but her parents realized how different things could've been had they gotten downstairs even a minute later. "I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine," she wrote. "We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one."

They've since installed a child lock on the machine and found a safety setting that prevents a cycle from starting as long as it's engaged. "We hadn’t even used the machine yet so we hadn’t looked at any of the settings. Also, it obviously took two curious kids to pull this off," she wrote. "I want to encourage anybody who has this type of front loading washing machine and small children, or even grandkids who visit, to lock the door with a child safety lock and always keep the child lock setting on!"

Despite what some haters are so quick to assume, McIver already knows she could've prevented the accident from ever happening and doesn't need to be told that. Instead, she just hopes that others learn from her message instead of slamming her for it. 

"This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good," she added. "We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough." 

Read More >