Back to Top
  • Peyton was diagnosed with second and third degree chemical burns along the bottoms of his feet and toes. 

    Chemical burn from shoes
    Sherry Foster

    Sherry learned that Peyton's shoes have a battery in them and when they got wet, they started releasing a chemical that burned his feet as he walked. "I was not warned or had any idea that this could happen I mean they are shoes made for kids -- although it does make sense now," she says. "My son is a trooper. He is tough as tough gets being it was the first day of summer vacation and he has to have his feet wrapped and is unable to play with his friends or brothers."

    Now, Petyon has to use special cream on his feet for three weeks to help with the burns and Sherry wants to warn other parents about the popular shoes she bought from a local department store. "We have always bought Skechers and have never had a problem," she says. "His specific shoe, the Skech Rayz, had an on and off switch. If parents buy these, I recommend they do not get them wet or jump in puddles. I know kids love them because of the cool lights but be careful." 

    According to a statement given to CafeMom, Skechers is aware of the situation and taking the matter seriously. "Skechers footwear products are rigorously tested for safety. Skechers, a family brand, has sold millions of pairs of children’s lighted footwear worldwide and has not had one incident of chemical burns reported. Notwithstanding, when Ms. Foster’s Facebook post was brought to our attention Friday, June 29, we immediately contacted her, inquired about her son, and asked her to send us the shoes so we can determine whether the shoes contributed to her son’s injuries," the company said. "Ms. Foster has agreed to send us the shoes, and we will continue our investigation. Despite the lack of any other similar reported incidents, we are taking this complaint very seriously and giving it the highest priority."