A Garden Hose Gave This Baby Second-Degree Burns & Firefighters Are Warning Every Parent

Baby burned by hose
Twitter user LasVegasFD

As the weather heats up, some of the best summertime memories can be made playing outside with water from the hose. Whether it's running through sprinklers oand Slip 'N Slides or filling up a kiddie pool, the backyard hose can be an easy and cost-effective way to beat the heat. However, Las Vegas firefighters are warning parents of a serious but little-known danger that can severely injure kids if they aren't aware.

Advertisement

"Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals," Las Vegas Fire Rescue tweeted."/Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals."

Baby burned by hose
Twitter user LasVegasFD

Along with their message, the fire department also shared a photo of baby Nicholas, who was severely burned two years ago when his mom was filling up a wadding pool in June 2016. At the time, the little boy from Arizona was just 9 months old and suffered second degree burns on 30 percent of his body due to the accident.

The boy's mom, Dominique Woodger, told KNXV after the incident that she didn't realize how hot the water was when Nicholas was accidentally sprayed. "I thought he was crying because he was mad...he hates when he gets sprayed in the face,” she said. “I didn’t think that it was burning him.”

However, it immediately became clear that the water scalded his skin as it turned an angry shade of red. "All of it was peeling," she said. "He had blisters all over the right side.”

According to KNXV, it was 115 degrees outside on this particular day. That means that if the hose had been left in the sun, the first spray of water could've reached 150 degrees. "At those temperatures, something as short as a 10 or 30-second exposure can result in a second-degree burn,” Captain Larry Subervi with the Phoenix Fire Department previously told the station.

Let's hope that Nicholas's story reminds other parents to keep the hose from sitting out in the sun and to always check the water first before letting those water wars begin. "Just be careful," Woodger added. "Touch it before you let your kids near it."

Read More >