Mom Shares Urgent Easter Candy Warning After Her 5-Year-Old Chokes to Death

Mini eggs
Julie Clopper / Shutterstock.com

As Easter approaches, many parents are starting to think about what they're going to fill their kids' baskets with this year. But it doesn't matter if you're the type who plans the sugary details ages in advance, or someone who grabs some treats from the shelves the day before, there's something one mom wants you to keep in mind this year: You need to be careful if you opt for the delicious Cadbury Mini Eggs.

Advertisement

Unlike the warnings about the full-size eggs and the surprising (or not at all) amount of sugar they contain, this mom's plea in regards to the miniature versions has nothing to do with the nutrition facts. Instead, she's speaking out after her 5-year-old daughter choked to death on one of these beloved chocolates.

"You’ve all seen the warnings about cutting up grapes before giving them to your children, a lot of schools even place notes in packed lunches if they are not cut the correct way and the meme of how to prepare grapes is forever shared across social media," the anonymous mom shared on the parenting website Mums Advice. "With Easter coming up I want to warn you all about another deadly choking hazard, one that tragically took away my child."

Mini eggs
Surrey County Council News/Flickr

More from CafeMom: Mom's Viral Cadbury Creme Egg Warning Has Some Parents Seriously Grossed Out

According to this mom, it's been three years since her little girl, Sophie, passed away after choking on a mini egg. "I was unable to dislodged it, even with back slaps and pushing up and under her ribs, I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind but it didn't help, I watched the light slip away from my baby's eyes, I tried in vain to save her," she wrote. "Sophie was 5 1/2 so not a tiny tot yet this seemingly harmless treat took my angel away."

If your child likes these eggs, this grieving mom is begging other parents to watch their kids closely while they eat them -- even if you think they are old enough to not need to worry. "Since Sophie’s passing I have seen many other parents posting into 'mum groups' or their personal Facebook timelines saying their child had also choked on mini eggs," she wrote. "Please parents be careful, I would hate to know another child had been harmed by these Easter treats, if just one person reads this and watches their toddler, child or teen extra close when eating these my daughter's death will not be in vain."

Mini eggs
Julie Clopper / Shutterstock.com

More from CafeMom: Mom Planned a 'Dead Baby' Cake Smash After Her Son Almost Died at Birth & People Aren't Having It

As her post has gone viral, other parents are not only sharing the message but also commenting with their kids' startlingly similar experiences. "My twin girls are 14 years old now, when they were 5 one of them choked on a mini egg and for years after I could not let her have them," one mom wrote. "When I finally did they were cut in half and closely supervised. I've never forgotten it." 

Another mom wrote that the same thing happened when her son was around 5 years old and he was nibbling on the candy while sitting in his car seat. "He began to choke, my first instinct was to stick my finger in his mouth to dislodge it, luckily it worked but in hindsight I could have pushed it further back!" she commented. "You do what you feel is necessary at that time but I think they should be made smaller. Hate to imagine how many kids have been unlucky."

"This happened to my son at around 4 years old. Fortunately I managed to get it out with the Heimlich maneuver as the back slapping wasn't working," another parent wrote. "I remember his lips were turning blue. It was one of the scariest moments of my life."

Another parent added that her son was older but he still choked while eating them. "He was 7 at the time, so not little. Luckily I'm advanced first aid trained and very experienced so I got it out," she commented. "Still scared the living day lights out of me."

If it were up to Sophie's mom, this candy would be banned, but because she doesn't see that happening in the foreseeable future, she hopes that inspiring parents to be extra vigilant when kids are around them will save some lives. "Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and pain -- I'm so sorry. I'll share with others and offer a different treat to my children, which I wouldn't have done otherwise," another mom commented. "Your post has undoubtedly saved anguish or tragedy, thank you x."

Read More >