After a Sliding Door Nearly Crushed Her Toddler, This Mom Is Warning Parents


Danielle McConnell/Facebook

Parents babyproof for pretty much everything. We put locks on the kitchen cabinet doors and make sure toilet seats can't be opened by little fingers. We try to do everything in our power to keep our kids out of danger in our homes. Unfortunately, a lot of the dangers they encounter come from things we'd never expect to pose a threat. One terrified mom is urgently warning other parents after a sliding door fell on her toddler.

  • Danielle McConnell says that a hinged sliding door completely collapsed on top of her son.

    "Out of nowhere this door fell on top of my 2-year-old and shattered on top of him," the mother wrote on Facebook. She also posted a photo of the door, fallen down on the floor inside of her house with shattered glass all around it. 

  • Advertisement
  • She shared a collection of horrifying images of her boy's injuries.

    The toddler seemed to come away with scrapes, bruises, and cuts on his forehead, under his eyes, on his cheeks, on his nose, and all over his mouth. 

  • Unfortunately, this isn't the first time something like this has happened either.

    In 2009, a 2-year-old girl was killed when a sliding patio door fell off of its hinges and landed on her, causing massive head trauma that ultimately resulted in her death. 

    Similarly, in 2008, a 14-month-old girl was crushed to death by a tilt and slide door -- not unlike the one McConnell's son was injured by. 

  • While the mother is certainly glad that her son was able to walk away from his accident, she's issuing a warning to other parents.


    More from CafeMom: Parents Issue Urgent Warning After Toddler Swallows 28 Magnets From Popular Toy

    "My son was so lucky to walk away from this with cuts and bruises," she wrote in her Facebook post. "Someone else's child may not be so lucky! If anyone has or knows someone who has these type of doors please be aware as they can snap at the top and fall out."

health & safety