Mom Shares Urgent Hatchimals Warning After Her Girl Suffers Chemical Burns

This post has been updated to include Spin Master's response to the controversy.

With kids still going strong on the Hatchimals craze this holiday season, many parents are currently shopping for anything and everything that has to do with these beloved toys. However, after her daughter recently received a horrible reaction from a Hatchimal bath bomb that she got for her birthday, one mom is warning parents to think twice before putting this product in stockings or under the Christmas tree.  

Hatchimal chemical burn
Jennifer Renee/Facebook

  • Jennifer Renee shared on Facebook that her little girl got a chemical burn from a Hatchimal bath bomb.

    According to Jennifer, her daughter Willow frequently uses bath bombs and has never had a problem with other brands before. "PSA! Do NOT buy this for your children!" she wrote. "Followed directions on package and placed in her bathtub. Thought it would be fun for her because there was a toy inside. After being in the water 30-45 seconds she stated her skin was hurting, upon looking she has received a chemical burn from a KIDS BATH BOMB. (No she was not holding it and she has used multiple different kinds of bath bombs and never had this reaction.) Just a warning, people."

    More from CafeMom: Warning: Parents Are Getting Scammed With Fake Versions of This Year's Hottest Holiday Toy

  • Advertisement
  • Willow was only in the water for 30-45 seconds before the pain started.

    After a doctor diagnosed Willow with a chemical burn and not an allergic reaction, Jennifer shared the batch number to warn other parents. "I called the company and the batch number being investigated and is likely going to be recalled as numerous reports have been made (not all the burning reaction she got)," she wrote. "It is so easy for a person working in a factory to overdo the ingredients in a batch and just ignore it. I am posting this just in hopes people will monitor closely. Everyone loves bath bombs. Lesson learned. All natural ones from now on."

  • Although some questioned the validity of Jennifer's post, others reached out with similar experiences.

    A grandmother from Oklahoma explained that she bought one of the Hatchimal bath bombs from that batch for her granddaughter. "Now her hands are all red ... do you think we should take her to the ER or wait to see what happens ..." she asked on Facebook.

    More from CafeMom: This Mom's Genius Elf on the Shelf 'Retirement' Plan Is the Sweetest Idea Yet

  • The post has gone viral as parents share the info with friends who might've bought one while holiday shopping.

    Although no official recall has been made, the batch number that burned Willow is HZ062HBAZATUR, for anyone who has recently purchased one and wants to be careful. 

    UPDATE: On December 12, 2017, Spin Master, the company behind the Hatchimals brand, shared a statement with CafeMom about its investigation into these claims: 

    "Spin Master has been looking into the matter with the manufacturer and licensee to whom we license the Hatchimals brand. Safety is our top priority and we are deeply saddened to learn of the girl's injuries. At this point, Global Brands Group has not found any indication of a product defect or manufacturing issue. Additionally, the product formulation has been subject to stringent safety testing and meets all industry standards."