Dad's Graphic Demonstration Shows What Can Happen If a Kid Swallows a Button Battery

 dangerous button batteries
Eric Boggess/Facebook

Button batteries are extremely common. While they definitely aren't meant to be played with as toys, they are used in everything from watches and remote controls to kids' toys and games. The tiny silvery batteries are incredibly easy for kids to get their hands on and even easier for them to swallow. One father has shared some terrifying images demonstrating the effects of button batteries that warn parents everywhere of just how dangerous the seemingly harmless objects are.

Advertisement

Over the past few years, there have been multiple cases of kids swallowing button batteries, resulting in things like internal acid burns and even death due to internal bleeding. In turn, many are speaking out to inform parents of the dangers and help them figure out what to do if a child swallows a button battery

More from CafeMom: Parents Issue Urgent Warning After Toddler Swallows 28 Magnets From Popular Toy

Dad Eric Boggess took to Facebook to share a startling demonstration (with terrifying visuals!) regarding the dangers of button batteries that he learned at a medical conference.

danger of button batteries
Eric Boggess/Facebook

The post features four pictures of a hot dog with a button battery placed inside of it, in various stages of distress. "This is what happens to a hot dog when a button battery is placed inside for only two hours," the post reads. "Now, imagine this being the inside of your child/infant/toddler's stomach or intestine."

That is absolutely horrifying. Look how it almost eats at the "flesh" of the hot dog. We can't even imagine this happening inside our kids' stomachs. 

The tiny lithium batteries may not look like much, but they do emit strong electrical charges when they are outside of their electrical unit. When swallowed, the batteries are easily lodged in the esophagus, react with saliva, and cause injury to the soft tissue there. Oftentimes, they even lead to holes being formed in the esophagus.  

According to medical reports, there is a "golden two-hour" window between the point of initial ingestion and when the battery starts to cause real damage. During this time, it is important that parents seek medical intervention for their kids as soon as possible.  

More from CafeMom: 2-Year-Old May Never Walk Again After Swallowing a Lithium 'Button Battery'

While medical professionals can usually extract the batteries without damage if caught early enough, prevention is -- as always -- the best course of action for keeping your child safe from them.

You can seriously reduce the risk of the button batteries causing harm to your child by storing the batteries out of reach, ensuring that toys using them have tightly sealed compartments, and limiting your child's access to items like remote controls.

If you think someone has ingested a button battery, call 911 (or your local emergency number), the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222, or the 24-hour National Battery Ingestion Hotline at 1-202-625-3333.

Read More >