Mom Warns This Hidden Pool Danger Almost Killed Her Daughter

pool danger
Alex Morgan/Facebook

With the weather getting warmer and warmer by the day, it's not uncommon for families to head to the nearest pool for some rest and relaxation. While many of us will research the best sunscreen to use and warn our kids not to go too far into the deep end of a swimming pool for the sake of safety, we might not be aware of all the potential dangers that lurk nearby. Alex Morgan says her daughter almost drowned after the 6-year-old's hair got caught in a pool drain during a family vacation. Now, the mom is speaking out to make sure it never happens to another child.

Advertisement

As Morgan explains in her now viral Facebook post, her daughter Darcey was enjoying a swim in a pool at the H10 Rubicón Palace resort in Spain when the little girl's hair got caught in a pool filter.

More from CafeMom: 4-Year-Old Fighting for Her Life After Horrifying Pool Injury

"Darcey was swimming under water when her hair got sucked into the filter that operates a waterfall in the swimming pool. Her hair was stuck and she was unable to get up to the surface," the stay-at-home mother of two recounts in her post. "She was kept under the water for over 2 minutes. Some incredibly brave people saved our little girl's life that day. Her hair was pulled and pulled before it was ripped. Darcey was unconscious and had to be given CPR at the poolside."

Darcey Morgan pool accident
Alex Morgan/Facebook

YIKES!

Thankfully, little Darcey is doing better after experiencing such a traumatic event. Though she lost four clumps of hair, her mom is so grateful this accident did not end in tragedy.

More from CafeMom: 7 Scary Water Dangers Every Parent Should Be Aware Of

hair clumps
Alex Morgan/Facebook

"Luckily we got to bring Darcey out of hospital the following morning," Morgan writes in her post. "However, it could have been a completely different ending to our holiday. This was the worst day of our lives. We are still suffering to come to terms with it all now but also feel incredibly lucky to still have our beautiful, brave little girl."

It's not hard to imagine every ounce of fear this mother felt for her precious girl. To think of any child being trapped underwater for minutes is truly what nightmares are made of and would make any one of us feel so helpless.


Alex Morgan/Facebook

More from CafeMom: 11 Tips for Drowning Prevention & Water Safety

As if this entire ordeal was not disturbing enough, Alex alleges in her Facebook post that the resort where her family vacationed did nothing to remedy the situation -- potentially leaving more families exposed to such an unthinkable swimming pool danger.

swimming pool
Alex Morgan/Facebook

"The hotel showed no respect and dealt with the matter poorly," the mom claims. She continues:

"They firstly tried to say that Darcey had slipped at the poolside, hit her head and knocked herself unconscious before falling into the pool. A large amount of Darceys hair was taken out of the filter after the incident and the Management of the hotel tried to hide this in his pocket. They didn't close the swimming pool, turn off the waterfall and filter or investigate in any way.

.... We were later told by staff at the hotel that the lifeguards here are not trained and are there to show a presence. Shocking!"

Alex also asserts First Choice, the company her family used to book the resort vacation, said it was "flying out members of management to the hotel with their health and safety team to fully investigate and make the waterfall/filter safe," but she claims the company never did.

"Unbeknown to First Choice, we still had friends staying at the hotel who confirmed that there was no presence of anyone at the hotel and no works/investigations carried out," Morgan alleges. "It therefore appears to me that First Choice value the contracts with their hotels more than the safety of their customers."

More from CafeMom: Public Pools Are Officially Grosser Than You Thought: How to Keep Your Kids Safe This Summer

Though pool drain-related accidents aren't super common, the Consumer Product Safety Commission notes it is a hidden danger parents should definitely know about, as hair and even body parts can get caught in drains and filters, causing bodily injuries or worse.

Hopefully, more can be done to protect our children from such unimaginable dangers inside swimming pools. But, until then, at least we can stay more vigilant as parents, heed expert pool safety tips, and share stories like what happened to 6-year-old Darcey -- no matter how much it scares us -- that just might save a child's life.

"Myself and Gareth [Alex's husband] don't want any other parents/ family members to go through what we experienced that day," Morgan writes. "We will never get over what happened but if this post can raise some awareness, save someone's life, then we will be happy."

Read More >

health & safety family

You May Also Like

From Our Partners