Video of Toddler Nearly Crushed by Dresser Shows Sh*t Happens in an Instant

Mom shares horrifying video of a chest of drawers falling on a child
Kayli Shoff/YouTube

There are certain realities no parent ever wants to imagine happening to his or her child. But sadly, scary situations -- including unthinkable accidents -- do occur, and they should make us all more alert. Kayli and Ricky Shoff are Utah parents whose video of their 2-year-old son saving his twin brother from a fallen dresser is enough to give every mom and dad endless nightmares.

Advertisement

The Schoffs' video, posted by mom Kayli on YouTube, shows the twin boys climbing up a chest of drawers in their room before it topples over, pinning one of Ricky and Kayli's sons to the floor. Thankfully this accident didn't turn tragic, as the other 2-year-old was eventually able to free his crying brother. 

More from CafeMom: 12 DIY Child-Proofing Hacks to Keep Kids Safe

Please note this video is extremely hard to watch. It will make you cringe, but is something every parent of a young child needs to see.

As Ricky writes in his Facebook post about the incident, "I've been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it's not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible." He continues:

We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share. We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock. And feel blessed that he is ok. Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall. Please share.

More from CafeMom: After Toddler Is Crushed to Death by Dresser, Ikea Once Again Urges Parents to Secure Furniture

It took me a minute to press play on this video. Seeing as I have 2½- and 1½-year-old boys -- who are constantly getting into any and everything -- this really hits home for me, as I know all too well that things can happen in the blink of an eye.

I don't know the details of this situation (there are so many questions), but I am beyond thankful this little boy did not lose his life. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about families who lose a child in such a tragic way: the Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that a child dies every two weeks from tipped furniture or a falling TV.

This is such a wake-up call for me to do more to protect my children.

As troubling as this video is, it's a visual reminder for me to try to prevent these accidents from happening by securing furniture to the wall.

We need to do more for our kids to keep them safe.

Read More >