Mini-Blind Cord Accident Claims Life of Former NFL Player's 3-Year-Old


Go Fund Me
Losing a child is beyond devastating, but never more so than when it involves a senseless accident. Former Philadelphia Eagles running back Reno Mahe lost his beautiful 3-year-old daughter Elsie after she became entangled in the cords of mini-blinds in the family's Utah home just days before Thanksgiving. 

Advertisement

The family stated that Elsie was playing with a friend and they don't know how the accident happened or how long she'd been tangled. Absolutely heartbreaking. 

More from CafeMom: 

The message the family shared will bring a tear to your eye:

6:03 Our Elsie girl has officially been released to heaven - at least from a worldly, paperwork stand point. Her second neurological death exam was also positive for brain death. We feel peace and we are again so grateful for the privilege of being Elsie's parents. She continues to sprinkle love and hope across the world and I am in awe of the Lord and His marvelous plan for my sweet girl. We will be working closely with the donation team for the next couple of days, so we have a few days to postpone making funeral plans. But as those dates and decisions are made, we will keep you informed. This picture was drawn by my oldest daughter, Evie. Not many people know that a little over a year ago I had a miscarriage. That is the angel waiting behind Christ.

A photo posted by Sateki Reno Mahe Jr (@renomahe) on

More from CafeMom: 9 Hidden Dangers of Letting Your Kids Use Technology

The Mahes donated Elsie’s organs. While it's unbearably sad for this family, they are truly giving the gift of life to someone else.  

On a Go Fund Me page, the family shared this, which, again, is just gut wrenching: 

"As we enter this Christmas season, I believe many of you will be tempted to feel sorry for me for having to endure this experience right around the holidays. However, I will treasure the opportunity to remember my sweet Elsie every year at this time and reflect upon the true meaning of this Christmas."

What courage and strength in the face of this unspeakable loss. 

Unfortunately, however, little Elsie's accident isn't uncommon. According to Parents for Window Blind Safety, in the past 20 years nearly 1,600 children sought treatment for near-strangulation in emergency rooms across the U.S. 

Kate Carr, president of Safe Kids Worldwide, notes that it's imperative to keep cords and strings out of your child's reach. (If you have to tie them up at the top, do it.) Additionally, she advises that parents and caregivers move all cribs, beds, furniture and toys away from windows and window cords. 

Safest of all it to purchase blinds that are cordless. IKEA, Target, and SelectBlinds.com have switched their inventories to cordless varieties, while Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart have vowed to do the same by 2018. Parents for Window Blind Safety's website also features a wide selection of cordless options

Elsie's death is a heartbreaking tragedy but if it can lead others to think twice before leaving cords where children can reach them it will not be in vain.

Read More >