Target Issues Massive Halloween Decoration Recall Over Choking Fears

Target recalls over 120,000 Halloween decorations due to choking hazard

With Halloween just days away, any parent who's working on the double to transform the house into a spooktacular abode should take a look at this. Target is voluntarily recalling 127,000 Halloween window decorations that they say present a choking hazard. Yikes!

Save

Advertisement

Thankfully, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission says there haven't been any reported injuries involving these LED gel clings which are worrisome because their button batteries are a choking hazard.

Still, it's important for parents to stay informed. Here's what you need to know.

1. Target is recalling 127,000 Halloween LED gel cling window decorations that illuminate with a blinking light when pushed. The recall comes in response to fears that each gel cling can separate -- resulting in the exposure of the inner battery compartment and a button battery that children might ingest.

More from CafeMom: 12 Tips for Keeping Your Toddler Safe From Swallowing a Button Battery

2. The following six Halloween gel clings are included in the recall and were sold exclusively at Target between August 2016 and September 2016:

(Click on each decoration description to see the image.)

The model number 234-25-0904 is visible on the packaging.

Target Halloween LED gel cling recall model number

More from CafeMom: Shocking Facts About Battery Safety Could Save Your Toddler's Life

3. Customers who purchased one of the recalled Halloween clings are advised to immediately remove it from areas with children.

4. To receive a full refund, return any recalled LED gel clings to a Target store.

5. You can contact Target toll-free at (800) 440-0680 Monday through Sunday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT. You can also visit Target's Product Recall page and click on the "School/Stationery/Seasonal" tab for more information. 

It's estimated that button battery–related injuries account for 84 percent of ER visits involving batteries. And with the number of deaths increasing over the past decade (button batteries can get lodged inside a child's throat and cause serious chemical burns), according to SafeKids.org, it's so important for parents and caregivers to stay vigilant, so we can try to keep our children safe.

 

Image via USCPSC/Twitter

Save

Read More >

recalls