Tragic Death of 12-Month-Old From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Highlights This 1 Important Tip for Winter Car Safety

Driving SUV car in winter on forest road with much snow

When battling winter's elements, it's not uncommon for people to start up their vehicles to stay cozy. In fact, it's something most of us do -- without thinking twice about it. Sadly, Sasha Bonilla and her 1-year-old son died in their family car from carbon monoxide poisoning, which has many of us still in disbelief.

Advertisement

Carbon monoxide is often known as the "invisible killer." Both colorless and odorless, the poisonous gas can greatly impact your health -- and even be fatal -- upon exposure.

This 23-year-old New Jersey mother did nothing out of the ordinary. As her husband Felix began digging out the car from snow, Sasha and her children decided to keep warm inside. No one knew, however, there was unseen snow blocking the tailpipe -- resulting in fumes circulating through the car.

Felix looked up to see his family "unconscious," and after his attempts to resuscitate his loved ones, Sasha and their son couldn't be saved.

The Bonillas' 3-year-old daughter is in critical condition at a nearby hospital.

More from The Stir: Keep Your Baby Safe From Poison

I'm still at a loss for words with this one ...

Never would I think about snow getting in my car's exhaust pipe, and potentially dealing with such a dangerous situation like this. Yet, experts from the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System (NJPIES) advise that failure to remove snow can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Should you want to warm up your car, they recommend leaving enough space around your vehicle for air to circulate.

As much as we would love to keep our families warm during the winter months, this accident is such a sad and tragic reminder about the importance of winter car safety -- and potential dangers of leaving your car running in the snow.

So incredibly heartbreaking ...

 

 

Image via mariakraynova/Shutterstock

Read More >