Live Sea Snail Pops Out of 4-Year-Old's Knee 'Owie' (VIDEO)

Paul FranklinPaul Franklin, 4, got a "little owie" after falling on a rock during a trip to the beach near his California home. His parents cleaned it, put a bandage on it, and didn't think much of it, until a few weeks later when his knee swelled up to the size of an orange and became hot to the touch. Then they were scared, fearing it could be a dangerous form of staph infection, Gangrene, or something worse. They never in their wildest imagination could have guessed what the real source of infection was.

Mom Rachel Franklin told the UPI that antibiotics seemed to make things better, but then it turned black, so despite the doctor's order not to drain it, she decided to do so anyway last Thursday. "I know the doctor didn't want to drain this, but this sucker needs to be drained!" she said.

When she squeezed the wound, something popped out. At first she thought it was a rock, but upon further examination she realized it was a sea snail. A LIVE sea snail.


How insane is that? They think it entered the wound, then grew and hatched under his skin. I get all squeamish just thinking about it. My daughter once had to have playdough removed from her ear, and I thought that was bad, but this is just unbelievable.

So what does one do with a snail that's been growing in his body for three weeks? Why keep it as a pet, of course. His name: Turbo. Paul is definitely set with a good show-and-tell item for school this year. And good for Rachel for trusting her motherly instincts. Who knows how long that thing could have lived in there had she chosen not to drain the wound.

Check out the following video to meet Turbo. He's actually kinda cute, but still ... ewww!

What's the strangest injury your child your child has ever had?


Image via UPI

Read More >