13-Year-Old Girl Dies From Peanut Allergy After 1 Bite of Unmarked Dessert (VIDEO)

Natalie GiorgioIf you've ever been annoyed by a child's allergy because your kid couldn't take a peanut butter sandwich to school, or questioned if allergies are really as serious as they're made out to be, then you need to read this deadly story of beautiful 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi who died after taking one bite of a dessert. It's heartbreaking, eye-opening, and terrifying for those of us who have children with allergies

Her parents did all the right things when they learned she had a peanut allergy. She was raised to know that her allergy could be deadly and questioned everything she ate. Her parents carried EpiPens with them wherever they went. Sadly, none of that was enough to save the girl's life. 


According to the Sacramento Bee, Natalie was attending a family camp in Sacramento with her parents, two sisters, and brother last week. On the final night of camp Friday, she took a single bite of dessert -- a frosted Rice Krispies treat, which, unbeknownst to her, had peanut butter in it. She tasted it and spit it out right away after recognizing the taste of peanuts. Her mother immediately gave her Benadryl, but that small bite was too much.

Within 20 minutes, Natalie started vomiting and went into anaphylactic shock. Her father, a doctor, injected her with three EpiPens, but none of it worked. Paramedics arrived and took her to the hospital, but she was pronounced dead a couple of hours later.

More from The Stir: 12-Year-Old Girl Contracts Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba While Swimming in a Lake (VIDEO)

With that one bite, her life was over. I simply can't even fathom what this family must be going through, how nothing they could do could save her. It's my worst nightmare.

My 4-year-old was diagnosed with a tree nut allergy earlier this year. It came out of the blue and has changed our world in many ways. I have the EpiPens; we check the labels; she knows to ask before she eats anything. But I wonder: Will it be enough?

Thought devastated, her parents hope that Natalie's death will help people understand how serious food allergies can be. In a statement they said:

While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life-threatening ... Caution and care for those (afflicted) should always be supported and taken.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Does this story make you rethink allergies?


Image via News 10

Read More >