6-Year-Old Boy Saves Sister's Life By Keeping Cool While His Dad Freaks Out

pretzelsAs parents, we're supposed to be the ones who keep calm in emergencies, right? Don't worry kids, we've got everything under control. But what happens when it's the other way around? Hopefully the kid in question is a lot like 6-year-old Cole Steffens, who was having a bedtime snack with his 17-month-old sister Bailey when she started to choke on a pretzel. "Within seconds, I heard this [makes choking sound]," says dad John. "A pretzel was lodged sideways in her throat."

"I lost it. I was bawling," he admits. Luckily, Cole kept his cool.


When his dad yelled, "Call 911!" Cole did exactly that: Picked up the phone, dialed 911, and told the dispatcher his sister was choking and could they please send an ambulance?

"We were all in awe [talking to him]," said one dispatcher. But to hear Cole talking about the emergency after the fact is even more impressive. Was he scared?

"It was kind of scary for my whole body, but it wasn't really scary for my head and brain," Cole says.

Wow. What an awesome way to put it. And we can all learn something from that, too, I think. Like, even if our bodies respond with panic to a situation, we can (and should) always try to focus our minds on what needs to be done. Of course, usually that's a lesson we're supposed to teach our kids, but the opposite works, too!

Are you calm in emergencies or do you panic?


Image via Windell Oskay/Flickr

Read More >