11-Year-Old Boy Saves His Friend's Life in the Lunchroom

The Boy Scouts often get a bad rap, but they certainly are good for something, it seems. A 6th grader saved his friend's life thanks to skills he learned the year before in Boy Scouts. The boy started choking in the cafeteria and quick thinking Brian Kennedy of Pennsylvania jumped up to give him the Heimlich, dislodging the cheese stick that had caused the problem.

The whole point of clubs like Boy Scouts is to get these life saving and useful skills, but most of us hope we will never have to use them. Lucky for the choking little boy, his friend knew what to do.

It speaks to how important it is for kids to know some of these things -- the Heimlich, mouth-to-mouth breathing, how to call 9-1-1. These are the skills that can save some one's life someday.


Advertisement

On Private Practice this season, one of the main characters had a heart attack while he was alone in the house with his 2-year-old son. It was maddening because the boy could not help his dad. He could not call 9-1-1 or a friend to help him. It scares me, too.

My children are only four (and a half!) and three and sometimes I worry about what would happen if something happened to me while I was alone with them. Would my daughter call someone? Would she Even know how?

We need to give kids more credit and teach them these lifesaving skills early. The hope is they will never have to use it, but if we continue the lesson, by the time they are 11 or 12, they will be well-versed in how to save a life if need be.

Thank goodness Kennedy was there. Thank goodness he knew what to do. Ryan Shire, the little boy who choked, was so grateful his family made a donation to the Boy Scouts, but they are not the only club who teaches such skills. Kids should know these things and know them early!

Do you teach your kids these skills?

 

Image via bennylin0724/Flickr

Read More >