Photo by erinkoeser616
I've been through a lot of breakups and their aftermaths (which usually consisted of a box of Kleenex, my favorite chick flicks, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's). I'm married now, and even though I've learned from some of my mistakes (dating jerks among them), I'm still guilty of a few of these 15 Relationship Mistakes We Wish We'd Stop Making.
1. Thinking we'll never get over him. We will.
2. Hacking into email or phones looking for suspicious messages and then yelling at him for the "k thnx bye" text he sent to his female co-worker two months ago. "k thnx" is not code for "hot steamy sex."
3. Thinking our partners must be interested in everything we do, think, and say. When it comes down to it, we zone out when men talk about circuit boards, right? Having friends outside a relationship is a good thing.
4. Putting so much energy into the idea of a fairy-tale romance that we're disappointed with anything less.
5. Dropping our friends when we're falling in love. Friends help define who we are, and we need them when things get tough.
6. Not asking for what we want in bed. It can be as little as an appreciative moan when he does something good or as much as a frank discussion about our fantasies. Again, he can't read minds, and we'll both benefit from knowing what we find pleasurable.
7. Denying that there's a problem in our marriage or relationship, instead of facing it and asking ourselves what needs to be done. Problems don't usually go away on their own. Letting them fester only makes it worse.
For more relationship mistakes, go to YourTango.
What relationship mistake do you repeat over and over?