We hear it whenever we do something a guy just doesn't understand -- or can't be bothered to try to understand: You're crazy. For some reason there's no equivalent of that annoying cliche, "bitches be crazy," for men. "Guys be ... um... themselves"? I guess it's because men are never crazy, right?
Haha, of course not. Dudes be bonkers all the freakin' time. Honestly, I don't think either gender has a monopoly on insanity. Both can be equally unreasonable, emotionally unstable, and generally bananas. But for whatever reason, men seem to call women crazy more often. Whatever reason? Actually, for several! Here are just a few of the reasons why a man will call a woman crazy.
1. He's not a man, he's a 13-year-old.
2. He is a man, but he has the maturity of a 13-year-old.
3. He's in a bad mood.
4. He's been asked to do something he doesn't feel like doing.
5. He is too intimidated to approach a hot woman.
6. Too much beer.
7. He's made a woman cry/hurt her feelings and doesn't want to take responsibility for that.
8. A woman is laughing and he doesn't get the joke.
9. He doesn't understand the big words a woman is using.
10. He sees a woman driving a car.
11. The woman is in a position of authority over him and has neglected to apologize for it.
12. You hurt his feelings. (See also: "That bitch!")
13. His attempt at impressing a woman fell flat.
14. He told a sexist joke and got the highly obvious and predictable response.
15. A woman is trying to stop him from doing something foolish/dangerous/mean/inadvisable.
16. He's a little slow.
17. He genuinely believes every human being should think and behave exactly like he does.
18. He told an attractive woman to smile and she rolled her eyes at him instead.
19. He's having a low-testosterone moment.
20. A woman just told him he's crazy.
Aww, we're just kidding, guys. Can't you take a joke? Of course you can. We know, because a man made this joke of a video below called the "Universal Hot Crazy Matrix," and you'd have to be either still a child or pitifully insecure about navigating the world of adult relationships to take it at all seriously. Right, guys?
On the other hand, there is a serious side to this issue. Dating coach Harris O'Malley says calling women "crazy" is a verbal shortcut. "It's a habit that we men need to break; it's damaging to relationships, trivializes genuine mental health issues, and -- most importantly -- hurts women as a whole."
More from The Stir: 15 Things Women Do That Make Men Call Them 'Crazy'
How do you feel when a man calls you crazy?
Image © iStock/DRB Images, LLC