When it comes to romance, it's pretty safe to say that most of us wish the men in our lives would kick things up a notch or two. We'd all love to receive flowers every week, be wined and dined on a Saturday night, or be whisked off to a cozy bed and breakfast for the weekend.
But given how hectic our everyday lives are -- sometimes the little things our husbands and boyfriends do to make our lives a bit easier are enough to make our hearts flutter.
A recent poll found that many modern men view small gestures as romantic -- like taking out the trash and/or leaving the toilet seat down.
And as crazy as it sounds, they're right. Those things are pretty romantic -- especially to moms who don't have one extra minute of spare time to take on additional tasks during the day.
Here are 15 very simple things men do that say, "I love and appreciate you more than you'll ever know."
- Making the bed -- When we head upstairs to get dressed and see a freshly made bed staring back at us, it's like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders.
- Getting the kids ready for school -- Even if it's only once a week, taking the hustle and bustle out our morning routine so we can enjoy a cup of coffee is priceless to us.
- Coming home early to get the kids off the bus -- Being at home all day is tough for us, and we're pretty much tied to the house in the afternoons when the kids come home from school. It sure is nice to run errands and take some time for ourselves without having to beat the clock.
- Scooping the poop -- Whether it be cleaning the litter box without being asked, walking the dog, or picking up the leftover dog droppings in the front yard -- we totally heart our dudes when we're off poop duty for once.
- Taking care of our cars -- Whether it be filling up the gas tank, putting air in our tires, taking them in for maintenance, or simply scraping the snow and ice off our windshield on their way out -- handling car stuff reminds us that we're loved.
- Emptying or loading the dishwasher -- With the amount of times we have to do this during the week, even getting off the hook once is like some kind of vacation.
- Helping us plan -- Duh. We're females, and we tend to get overwhelmed fairly easily. Taking a few minutes to sit down with us and help us prioritize our weekly tasks is romance gold.
- Giving us a day off from parenting -- This is, like, the most romantic thing ever. You know, when our men take the kiddos for the entire day without us asking so we can sleep in, go shopping, watch chick flicks -- whatever.
- Cooking dinner -- 'Nuff said.
- Bringing us a hot cup of coffee -- Nothing says, "I love you" quite like noticing our cup is empty and getting up to refill it so we don't have to move from the couch on a Sunday morning.
- Folding the laundry -- Ohhhh. Swoon.
- Doing any sort of cleaning -- We even get butterflies when they spray the counters and wipe them down after dinner.
- Doing the bedtime routine -- Giving the kids their bath, getting them in their pjs and making sure their teeth are brushed, and reading them a story is one of the easiest ways to remind us why we fell for these guys in the first place.
- Helping the kids with homework -- For the love of GOD -- one night off from homework duty is worth so much more than flowers and chocolates.
- Doing ANYTHING without us prompting them -- It doesn't matter how small the household task. If he takes it upon himself to do something simply because he knows it is going to help you out in some way, shape, or form -- he's being a total romantic.
What does your husband do that you find romantic?
Image via Pauline St. Denis/Corbis