Not everybody thinks that getting married a second time is a good idea. Maybe they were burned badly in their divorce and they don't want to get hurt. Again. Or they have kids and think it's better to raise them without a step-parent.
After my divorce, I always assumed that I would remarry. I still believed in the institution of marriage. And I had seen how wonderful the second time around could be. My parents divorced when I was in high school and a few years after that, they both remarried. And they've been happily married to their spouses for more than 25 years.
When I married my second husband, I was surprised by how easy it was to be a wife again. And I don't mean that in an old-fashioned kind of way. I mean making the commitment, living under the same roof (and not just sneaking in a few nights when the kids were with their other parents), and sharing in the decision-making for our newly blended family.
So here are 10 reasons second marriages rock:
- Statistics are in your favor. Second marriages are less likely than first ones to end in divorce.
- You get married a second time for love. And only love. Not to procreate, to escape your past, or because everyone else is doing it.
- Experience definitely makes you wiser. You both have learned from your past mistakes and you're not going to make the same ones twice.
- Step-parents can play an enormously positive role in your kids' lives.
- You know that you can't turn your partner into someone they're not. People don't change, especially as we get older.
- People who are married have a longer life expectancy.
- With age comes maturity. Your understanding, and your partner's, about what it takes to be in a committed relationship is greater.
- Yes, it costs less to have two people living under one roof.
- The wedding is not the focus of starting your life together. No need to have a black tie affair for 200 of your closest friends and family. Small, intimate, and less expensive is the way to go.
- People who have someone to grow old with have a lower incidence of depression.
What are some other reasons that getting remarried rocks?
Image via Jennifer Cullen