Has this ever happened to you? You're out with one of your friends, who happens to have a penis, and you somehow end up falling in to bed with him.
How'd that go for you?
I did this once. And I admit there was alcohol involved. Lost in the moment, it seemed like a good idea. We were alone on an island for a night. Who could it hurt? But after our one and done encounter, our friendship was never the same. Having sex permanently changes your relationship, no matter how close you were before.
So while I’m all for having casual sex, here are 5 reasons why having sex with a friend will ruin your friendship:
1. A little knowledge is dangerous: Sex is intimate. No way around that. You’ll come out of it knowing too much about each other. Like the grunts he makes or the size of his....
2. It’s unfulfilling: Either it’s a quickie or he just doesn’t know, or care, how to do it for you. If you’re going to risk a friendship, the reward better come in the form of an orgasm. Or multiple ones.
3. If there's no chemistry: You try it. It sucks. You never look at your friend the same way again. All you can think about is how quickly you wanted it to be over so you can get dressed..
4. Feelings might change: He may want to make you his girl. Or you might fantasize about him becoming your boyfriend. Chances are, this will happen for one or the other but not for both.
5. Once you do it: It's hard to go back to being just friends. Best case scenario, you are both able to pretend it never happened. Worst case scenario, you end up losing the friendship.
So do yourself a favor. Keep it platonic with your pals. You need all of the friends you can get. Go have some casual sex with a semi-stranger. Or, even better, have your friend set you up with one of his friends.
Have you had a "friend with benefits" before? How'd it go?
Image via Tony Alter/Flickr