One of my closest friends' relationship is still relatively new, but she already has a feeling about this one. Most likely because the guy has qualities that make him primo, grade-A husband material. Qualities that anyone might notice and say, "Wow, what a mensch!" but that one lucky woman recognizes as reasons to marry the man!
In an effort to nail those reasons down, our friends at YourTango actually surveyed mental health professionals about what actually makes a man husband material. While the ability to communicate, honesty, and reliability came out as top traits, and those make perfect sense, there are many of other characteristics that make a guy a keeper. Without further ado ...
- He's supportive no matter what. Whether you're struggling with your career or health or any other personal challenge, we all want a man who is going to be encouraging, stick by our sides, and want to support us financially, emotionally, etc. even when he would have no need to.
- He's loyal. Obviously someone who would never cheat or sell you out, but also ...
- ... not a mama's boy. No one wants to spend a lifetime with a man who will repeatedly put his mom before you.
- But he's not disrespectful of his mom. YourTangoExpert Jennifer Elizabeth Masters warns, "If a man is disrespectful of his mother, he will disrespect you. If he does not get along with his mother, he is a bad risk."
- He's family-oriented. Even if you don't necessarily want to have kids, you probably want to marry a guy you can build a home and a life with. And who prioritizes togetherness with loved ones. Every time I see how important it is to be close with his family, I'm reminded what a wonderful husband my fiance will be.
- He's patient. File a guy with a hair-trigger temper under "do not want."
- He would drop what he's doing to help little old ladies or children or anyone in need cross the street. Self-explanatory.
- He's fun to be around. Life's short, but also too long to be bored by your partner.
- He's sexy. It never hurts to find your man irresistibly attractive.
- He's flexible. Some people are just naturally more stubborn, but a marriage is a two-way street, so he's gotta be willing to compromise.
- He's compassionate. Being able to sympathize and empathize with others proves he's got a huge heart.
- He's intellectually curious. Gotta love a man who never wants to stop learning. Keeps the conversation flowing and life exciting!
- He's motivated and strong. Conviction, drive, passion, etc. isn't just hot but it'll help him push through life's adversities.
- He helps you tackle your to-do list without being asked. He'll take your little fluffy lap dog out for a walk or go get your car's oil changed, just to make your life less stressful.
More from The Stir: 6 Signs Your Marriage Is Rock Solid
What are some other traits do you think make a guy husband material?