I am all for the overly dramatic, awe-inspiring pronouncements of love. Those Jumbotron proposals at baseball games and the flash mob choreographed to One Direction's "That's What Makes You Beautiful" are fun to watch. But let's get real, most of us don't have time to orchestrate over-the-top gestures with any regularity and we shouldn't have to. There are lots of ways to express how head-over-heels in love you are without involving a hot air balloon or sky writer. After nearly 10 years of marriage, I have learned it's the little, everyday gestures that really make my hubby feel adored. Here are 12 ways to say 'I Love You' without speaking a word.
- Pick up his favorite ice cream for dessert -- even if you hate the flavor.
- Wrap your arm around him as you go to sleep. A touch can say just as much as words.
- Ask him how his day was and wait for the answer. I know you are busy, but the dishwasher or toy pick-up can be set aside for two minutes. Don’t multitask while he talks. Just listen.
- Plug his iPhone into the charger. My husband’s phone is always dead. Getting a hold of him at the end of the day is nearly impossible. I used to fume and complain about it, but that just got me a huff or an eye-roll. So at night, when I see that he’s forgotten yet again to plug it in, I just do it. He actually thinks it’s a sweet and thoughtful gesture.
- Try to change an annoying habit. I am notorious for leaving cabinets, closets, and drawers open. It drives my husband nuts so I try to more mindful of this. He really appreciates the effort, especially since he knows leaving things ajar is second nature to me.
- Slip a flirty note into his medicine cabinet or briefcase once in awhile.
- Go to the movie he wants to see, no matter how much you hate the genre, plot, or actors in it.
- Do something nice for his mother -- without him having to ask you to.
- Remember the dates that are important to him. I am not just talking about birthdays or anniversaries. My husband likes to commemorate the day his Cuban father came to America.
- Gently rub the back of his neck. It's a simple move, but I know it's a soothing one for him, especially after a long day. Perhaps your man likes a shoulder massage or quick hug.
- Cuddle up close while watching TV.
- Kiss. You don't need a reason, time, or place to plant a passionate smooch on your man. Just do it whenever and wherever the mood strikes.
What other ways can you silently say "I love you"?
Image via elvissa/Flickr