As much as some parents might think scheduling sex is ridiculous, I think it's probably the most brilliant decision you can make for your relationship.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a spontaneous quickie, but with four kids running around, getting caught having sex is a pretty good possibility.
So if my husband and I want to make sex happen, we schedule it. And here's why you should too.
1. It's safer! No, not just because you can be extra sure that your kids won't walk in and ask you why you're wrestling Daddy in the nude. If your husband hasn't yet gotten that vasectomy he keeps promising (wait, is that just me?), you can be certain it's during the "safe time."
2. You can prepare! Maybe I'm the only mom who doesn't shave every time she showers, but if I know I'm going to get a little action, I can make sure that the legs are smooth and the hedges are trimmed. Plus, you can pop the sexy panties in the wash, pull out the romantic tunes, and top off the bottle of lube.
3. You can concentrate! It's so easy to be distracted by piles of dishes and loads of laundry that sex can be tossed aside for the regular mundane activities of life. When you've got it on your calendar with a specific time set aside, then you can be sure your head is actually in the game and focused on your partner, instead of thinking about what you're going to pack for your kids' lunches tomorrow.
4. You can pick the best time! These days, it's a minor miracle if we're both in the mood at the same exact time. I like it at night, he likes it in the morning, and so it seems as though one of us is compromising. When you set up a schedule, you can find a time that works for both of you, or alternate so you both get a fair shot.
5. You can get creative! With a little extra time, you might actually be able to do something beyond your regular sex ritual. No need to swing from the chandeliers or anything, but you could create themes or even set up a little sexy role-playing scenario. Did someone call for the doctor?
What do you think about scheduling sex? Do you do it?
Image via danielmoyle/Flickr