Dating an older man can be a tricky line to walk. You may be a generation apart, you may be seen as a "gold digger" whether or not the dude has money, and you may find some of your friends like to tease you about dating "Mr. Wilson."
What none of them know is this: there are some definite advantages to having a relationship with an older man. Here are some tips for dating an older Mr. Right.
1) Instead of seeing the generational gap as a drawback, think of it as a learning experience. See what you two can teach each other.
2) Focus on the things you have in common rather than the things you don't.
3) Material assets don't make someone date-able; personality does. If he's got cash, awesome. If he doesn't, that shouldn't be something that would matter any more than if a guy your age didn't have money.
4) Remember that being older means being more set in your ways (probably), which means that if you're getting into a relationship with a guy who's older than you, don't expect to change him. (This should be a rule for ALL relationships.)
5) Being around his kids may be awkward, especially if they're close to your age. Best to let him handle getting them used to the idea of you rather than foisting yourself upon them.
6) Just because he's no longer a horny teenager humping anything in sight doesn't mean that he won't be satisfying to you. While older men may experience a decrease in sex drive, he will have more experience, which can mean that he'll make sure that you're "taken care of."
7) Keep an open mind going into it. Just because he's older doesn't mean he can't be spontaneous or fun in bed. He is who he is, and if you like that? Be open to him.
8) Learn to deflect the judgment of your friends. If they're teasing you about dating an "old guy," tease them back about dating young losers (or whatever their type is). And if the teasing becomes hurtful? Tell them so. Real friends will be happy for you - no matter what.
Have any other tips for dating older dudes?
Image via A_of_DooM/Flickr
Do it yourself
Concierge service through your credit card