We've all had That Ex. Heck, we've all probably BEEN That Ex at one point or another. You know, the ex who won't leave you alone? Who cannot stand the thought of being apart from you, his One True Love?
Yeah. That one.
So what do you do when your ex won't leave you be? Here are some ideas.
1) First, unfriend and unfollow your ex from all social media networks. Block him from Facebook and Twitter, so he can't see what you're doing.
2) A lot of women don't want to hurt someone's feelings, so we beat around the topic. Don't do it. Tell your ex explicitly that there is no chance of a reconciliation and the relationship is over. End of story.
3) Once you've made it clear that it is, in fact, the end of your relationship, do not respond to any of his attempts at communication. Delete emails or create a hidden folder that files those emails there without you having to look at them.
4) If he shows up at your house, don't let him in. Don't even answer the door. If he persists, call the police.
5) Change all your passwords. This includes those for email, social media, and other online accounts you may have. Even if you don't think he knew the passwords in the first place.
6) Let friends, coworkers, and family members know that your ex is harassing you so that they can be on alert.
7) If he won't stop calling or texting you, block his number. If that doesn't work, get a new phone number. Sure, it's a pain in the ass, but it beats having to second-guess every phone call you get.
8) If you're concerned for your safety, get an alarm system or a barky dog to protect you and give you some peace of mind.
9) If he won't quit harassing you or you become afraid, begin to document what is going on. Make notes about dates, times, locations, and incidents.
10) If your ex continues to pester you or becomes threatening in any way, look into filing a restraining order against him. Do so cautiously, though: most restraining orders require that the person the order is taken out against be notified as to where you are, which can provide some stalkers the information they want.
What other tips do you have for someone with an ex who won't go away?
Image via potzuyoko/Flickr