Armed and dangerous. To herself.By the way people were flocking to the movie Think Like a Man this weekend, you'd think it was raining men in those theaters. But no, it's just another RomCom with an impossibly gorgeous cast. Maybe people are showing up for the relationship advice?
Think Like a Man is based on the self-help book by the same title written by comedian Steve Harvey. It's filled with a lot of common sense (don't let guys treat you like dirt) and it's been called, oh, sexist among other things. Not to mention, if you're getting your dating advice from a comedian, the joke is on you, sisterfriend, bawhahaha! But is any of Harvey's philosophy actually useful? Let's take a look at a few key lines from the movie.
1. "Ladies, until you understand the mindset of a man, you are never gonna win in the game of love." Knowing the mindset of a man is just going to get you into the game. Knowing your own mindset and connecting with someone who gets you is what will help you actually win.
2. One of the guys reading the self-help book out loud: "Listen to this: Men respect standards. Get some. I prefer my women not to have standards." Key words here are "my women," plural. This guy's a play-ya.
3. "Men are like dogs: feed them, pet them, let them bark -- and they'll be loyal forever." Yeah, do you really want to spend the rest of your life with a dog? If so, GET A DOG.
4. "If he can't manage dinner for two, you'll always be number two." I think this one gets turned upside-down after Lauren (Taraji P. Henson) takes the whole movie to realize that men have more to offer than their bank account.
5. "I don’t go out with guys who don’t open the door for me," says Mya (Meagan Good). Good girl! And then her date peels away -- and zips back. Ah ha ha, a man with a sense of humor. No, that's good. I like it. Tell me he opens the door right after that.
6. "What do you call the three rings of marriage? The engagement ring, the wedding ring, and the suffer-RING." So says Cedric (Kevin Hart), who is in the middle of a painful divorce. Cynical? Maybe. But I'm glad they have him in there as a reality check. The game doesn't end on your wedding day.
7. More Cedric: "I need to be helped. I need you to rub my back, put me in my onesie ... whatever you need to do baby, I’m yours!" If the guy you're dating needs this much help run, ladies. RUN!
8. "Now, revealing that you're a keeper is no guarantee that this guy won't just walk away. Some men really are just sport fishing and have no intention of doing anything more than throwing back the women they bed. If this is the case with this man, then let him walk -- what do you care? He's not the guy you're looking for." Truth.
9. "There is no such thing as a perfect man." Also true.
10. Cedric again: "See what I like to do is get some chocolate covered strawberries. Then I come downstairs with a G-string on ... made of hot!" Don't laugh -- this is genius.
Have you seen Think Like a Man? Do you think women really need this kind of dating advice?
Image via ThinkLikeAMan/YouTube