5 Ways to End a Fight & Get to the Good Stuff (Making Up!)
Fights happen. In even the very best relationships, fights do happen.
It's natural to fight, we know this. But how do you stop a fight once it's begun? That's one of the hardest parts of a relationship -- learning the proper way to end a fight.
But once you know how to properly end a fight in a relationship, you're able to end fights with other people that much more easily.
Here are five easy, practical, and important tips for ending a fight so you can get to the fun part (making up!).
1. Stop blabbering and listen. I'm as guilty as the next person of this. The minute my hot-buttons are all pushed (and not in a hot way), I'm all amped up to keep shouting my point. But it's not an effective or healthy way to handle fighting. Instead, stop, listen, and really hear what the other person is saying. Echo that back to them, "You're mad because I overspent on the credit card again." Amazing how simple it is to make someone feel heard.
2. Don't yell, especially if you have kids. Kids don't need to hear their parents arguing, and yelling is a good sign that the argument has gotten WAY out of control. Once you start yelling, you're apt to say things you don't even mean. So resist the urge and do not succumb to it.
3. Don't walk away or hang up the phone. My husband is a master of walking away and shutting himself in another room when we're fighting. NOTHING gets resolved that way. Eventually we both come back together but the situation is still unresolved and now feelings of anger and resentment have formed.
4. Boundary issues. There are certain things in a fight that should never, ever be allowed. Name calling is one of them. Bringing up a gigantic list of past grievances is another. Establish your boundaries and work through your issues -- FAIRLY.
5. Say you're sorry. No one likes to apologize, especially if they feel they were in the right to have behaved the way they did. But an apology can go millions of miles toward ending a fight.
What other tips do you have for ending a fight?
Image via miguelpdl/Flickr
Piping Hot Posts