Couples fight. We know this. Even the most functional couples have spats now and again. Relationship fights, they happen.
However, there are many relationship fights that happen that can be avoided. Because let's face it -- the more stress and fighting a relationship has, the less enjoyable it is.
Here are some common relationship fights and how to (hopefully) avoid them.
1. Money. The most common relationship fights are about money. How it's spent. How much you have. How "responsible" you are with it. Finances put a major strain on most relationships. You can prevent (some) of these spats by being upfront about money and making sure you're both working toward the same goals.
2. The past. It's really tempting to pick a fight over the past. Maybe you had unresolved fights. Maybe one (or both) of you cheated. Maybe there are issues with an ex. To avoid this ugly fight, remember the past is unchangeable. In order to move toward the future, you have to let the past go. I mean, really let it go.
3. Jealousy. The green-eyed monster is one of the more common relationship pitfalls. Maybe you're jealous that your man (or woman) was flirting with a coworker. Or that cute waitress. Or the bartender. Jealousy is normal, but also easily avoidable. Remind yourself that your partner is with you because he or she wants to be -- not because he or she has to be.
4. Sex. Often in a relationship, one partner wants to have sex more often than the other. This can lead to all kinds of relationship fights if you're not careful. If sex is a common relationship fight for you, you may want to sit down and examine the underlying issues.
5. Communication. Most fights (relationship or otherwise) are caused by a breakdown in communication. Effective relationships involve effective communication -- which can be hard. So sit back and listen -- really LISTEN -- to what your partner is saying, acknowledge his or her feelings, and work together to be more effective communicators.
What are some of the common fights in YOUR relationships?
Image via thisreidwrites/Flickr
Pens, pencils, markers, etc.