After this morning's news that Justin Bieber and Mariah Carey decided to jointly disgrace themselves in a remake of Mariah's 1994 hit, "All I Want for Christmas Is You," I thought I'd never want to hear another holiday song in my entire life. But it's been a few hours, and I've calmed down a bit. A few deep breaths and a healthy serving of pecan pie did the trick. All's right in the world again, the burning sensation in my eyes and that vomit taste in my mouth have both subsided, and it's time once again to look on the bright side.
So to cleanse our Christmas song palate, I've compiled a list of the 10 most romantic songs this holiday season. Some make me want to hold hands and take a walk with my honey-bunny, some make me wanna snuggle at the hearth's edge, and some make me want to be married by a snowman we've pretended is Parson Brown.
- "Winter Wonderland," Bing Crosby. It's an upbeat song about taking a stroll, getting married in a meadow, conspiring by the fire. So sweet.
- "Christmas Lights," Coldplay. I don't know, it just makes me want to be held. By anyone. At all. No discrimination. Hold me.
- "I'll Be Home for Christmas," Doris Day. I bet this song is especially romantic for those couples and families with loved ones in the military. Day sings this song beautifully -- it really pulls at the heartstrings.
- "Santa Baby," Eartha Kitt. It's a little more sexy than romantic, but it puts you in the right mood.
- "Baby It's Cold Outside," Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer. I wish this song was played year round. It's so good! And very romantical.
- "White Christmas," Bing Crosby. Such a great, mellow song to slow dance to. All you need is a poofy skirt, high heels, and a man to latch onto on the dance floor.
- "Please Come Home for Christmas," Aaron Neville. This song speaks to my heart. It's a little, wee bit sad, but still very touching.
- "That Spirit of Christmas," Ray Charles. What a wonderful feeling, indeed. His voice is so smooth, you can't help but get close to someone and sway.
- "Merry Christmas Baby," the one and only Otis Redding. He sings about diamonds, kissing, Santa, and presents. It's absolutely perfect.
- "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," Christina Aguilera. If you don't mind Xtina, this version of the classic song is totally sultry yet sentimental.
What are your favorite romantic holiday songs?
Photo via Paul Jerry/Flickr