Not Davies' Girlfriend
Not Davies' GirlfriendBrandon Davies, the BYU basketball player suspended for breaking the BYU honor code, might have fallen victim to a power greater than himself. He had pre-marital sex with his girlfriend, which got him kicked off the team, and people are blaming everything from the honor code itself to the strict coaches to Davies' self-destruction. But what about Brandon Davies' girlfriend?
History is dotted with femme fatales who lure unsuspecting love-struck men into lairs of lies and deceit. Maybe his girlfriend, this elusive BYU student, is more than just a Mormonism and basketball fan.
Perhaps she's a siren from #4 Duke sent to take down the star player from #3 Brigham Young ... right before March Madness.
Is Davies' girlfriend a temptress out to destroy him? If so, she could be following the example set by these saucy ladies.
- Monica Lewinsky. Girl starts internship, girl meets President, girl becomes infamous "sexual relations" partner.
- Yoko Ono. She's blamed for breaking up the greatest band in history. Maybe Duke University sent her, too. Just saying.
- Camilla Parker Bowles. When the Prince's ex-wife goes on TV and blames you for breaking up her marriage, that can be hard to recover from. Diana famously said, "Well, there were three of us in the marriage, so it was a bit crowded." Charles' reputation is still in recovery.
- Delilah. She's possibly the oldest femme fatale, having her story told in the Old Testament, so we can't blame Duke for this one. She cut off her husband Samson's hair when he was sleeping to take away his strength, and betrayed him to the enemy.
- Greek Sirens, Peisinoe, Aglaope, and Thelxiepeia. They may be beautiful and they may have the voices of angels, but they will kill you. Plain and simple.
I like the idea that Davies' girlfriend is a siren in a BYU sweatshirt, offering him illicit booze, Coca-Cola, and sexy time all in some grand scheme to take him down and ruin the Cougars' national championship hopes. I also like to think of her as a Duke student in sheep's clothing. But the fact remains that we don't know who she is, and I hope we never find out.
Photo via cameraworx/Flickr