Have you ever gone to the mall to go shopping with your man? How’d it go?
Did he eagerly help you pick out a new pair of shoes or did he complain and whine like a toddler that you had enough shoes already and that he was thirsty?
Well, it’s the holiday season. And there is much shopping to be done. You don’t really want to do it all yourself. It’s fun to have some company plus it’s time that the two of you can spend together.
And he needs to get some gifts too. His Great-Aunt Uta deserves something other than the annual gift of a scarf and a pair of gloves.
Here are 10 tips guaranteed to make the shopping experience with your toddler man more enjoyable:
1. Make him go potty before he leaves the house.
2. Go shopping early in the morning when his energy level is higher. And be realistic about the amount of time you can spend at the mall. You definitely don't want to go too close to his mid-afternoon nap on the couch.
3. Feed him a healthy and filling breakfast, preferably one full of protein and carbs.
4. Pack some snacks and/or gum for when the whining starts.
5. Promise him a treat if he behaves. Ice cream or oral sex, his choice.
6. Let him think that he is part of the decision-making process, even if you already know exactly where you are going to go and what you are going to get.
7. Make sure to include some resting time like having lunch at the food court.
8. Go to at least one store he is interested in such as an electronics store, sporting apparel shop or even Victoria’s Secret.
9. Download a new app, like a video game, for his phone before you leave the house. It'll help keep him occupied.
10. Have fun with the experience. A sense of humor will go far.
Any other tips to having a successful shopping outing with your partner?
Image via francisco_osorio/Flickr