Flickr photo by Katie TegtmeyerLots of my friends have been on internet dates. I have, too. Before I met my husband. And we've had good experiences. Even the guy who wore more makeup than I do was nice. Though we didn't go on a third date.
Online dating isn't as creepy as I once thought it was. My friend Melody met her husband online. (Through Friendster -- remember when that was new and exciting?)
Social networking sites are great -- you can meet people on Facebook, MySpace, CafeMom, and there are dating specific sites like Match and eHarmony. But there are some that are a little ... er ... shall we say even more specific? With the news of Google restricting cougar dating sites from search engines (lame!), it made me want to know: What other niche dating sites are out there?
Grab the nonpareils ... some of these are crazy!
- Vamp Personals -- If Twilight and True Blood isn't just a fantasy for you, you can meet other fangbangers at this Gothic dating site.
- Daily Diapers -- You won't be able to order diapers for your 6-month-old here, it's all for adults with a diaper fetish of their own. Yeah. Some people dig this.
- Pounced -- Furries or Plushies are people who get turned on by those who dress up in furry costumes and have their own "fursona." Just to clarify: A furry icon would be the ladies of Josie and the Pussycats. Or someone dressed up as Winnie the Pooh.
- STD Friends -- This site, for those with STDs looking for love -- sure saves people from that inevitable awkward reveal.
- Poker Faces -- If card games are your thing, you might meet your King or Queen on this dating site.
- Farmers Only -- With a slogan "City Folks Just Don't Get It," this dating site for ranchers, cowboys, cowgirls, and livestock owners even boasts photos of couples who got married after (cow) poking around.
- Meet An Inmate -- Got a thing for prison stripes? Meet an incarcerated person on this site. Hey, the letter correspondence must be incredible!
- 420 Dating -- If you don't smoke pot and you date an avid pot smoker, it can be a serious issue. Meet fellow tokers here.
- The Atlasphere -- Ayn Rand fans can discuss The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged in bed after a romantic rendez vous.
- Tall Friends --Like tall men? Are you a tall woman looking for someone even taller? This site's for you.
- Date a Little -- Claiming to be the most popular dwarf dating site online, Date a Little was also mentioned on an episode of Little People: Just Married.
- No Longer Lonely -- Find friends or love on this site for adults with mental illness.
- DateCraft -- Really into World of Warcraft? Meet others who also love the video game and are looking for love.
Have you (or would you) ever look for love on one of these niche dating sites?