This Story of a Woman Who Got Married Just 18 Hours Before Dying From Cancer Is Heart Shattering

The heartbreaking story of a woman with breast cancer who got married just 18 hours before dying will give you hope in true love again. Just be sure to grab a brand-new box of tissues. You'll need it if you read ahead.

  • On December 22, Heather Lindsay, a 31-year-old psychologist, said her "I dos" with David Mosher, 35, at the chapel in St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford, Connecticut.

    Surrounded by tearful friends and family, she was wheeled in on a bed wearing a wedding gown and wig. The two said their vows, which were some of her final words, before she passed away the next day. 

    "It was just like surreal because I'm supposed to be exchanging vows to her and here I am saying goodbye," Dave Mosher told ABC News.

    More from CafeMom: A Woman Battling Breast Cancer Was Turned Away from MAC Cosmetics -- & Ulta Saved the Day
  • Advertisement
  • Mosher and Lindsay met in 2015 at a swing dance group, and were soon "inseparable," according to WFSB Eyewitness News.

    The day that Mosher planned to propose to Lindsay turned out to be the same day that she was diagnosed with cancer. She had gone to the doctor on the morning of December 23, 2016, after discovering a lump on her breast. Still, he proposed to her that night on a horse-drawn carriage.

    "I said to myself, 'She needs to know she's not going to go down this road alone,'" he told WFSB Eyewitness News.

  • After two surgeries and chemotherapy, the couple thought things were stable, but soon received news that the cancer spread to her brain and lungs.

    Her doctors urged them to wed sooner than the original date of December 30, 2017. "We realized it was something that needed to happen because she probably wasn't going to make it," Mosher told Inside Edition.

    After the bad news, Lindsay was soon on a breathing tube. 

    "She was tough. Anyone else would have given up a long time ago. The doctors even said we don't know how she's still here," David told WFSB Eyewitness News. 
  • "She was dying and it was clear while we were all there that these were the last moments of her life," her friend and photographer Christina Karas told ABC News.

    "She held on to stay alive for the wedding ... a wedding to the man of her dreams," Karas continued

    Incidentally, Lindsay passed away on the same day, just a year later, that the couple first got engaged.

  • Lindsay's funeral was held the next Saturday, which was the day they had originally planned to marry.

    "We had a great love," Mosher told Inside Edition. "Don't take your love for granted because it could be taken away."

    That's something we should all remember. 

    More from CafeMom: Dying Woman's Breast Cancer Battle Chronicled in 35 Haunting Photos
cancer love wedding