Remember when you were first dating? Your boyfriend would write you poems, shower you with gifts, toss non-stop compliments your way. And then eventually, you get married and all that gets tossed out the window.
Yes, being married for years and years can take its toll. Routines set in and you can quickly forget all about the little things you used to do for each other. But it doesn't have to be that way.
Guys, just because you've already "gotten the girl," doesn't mean you should stop showing her the affection and attention she deserves. And I don't just mean firing up the popcorn and watching one of the most romantic movies ever with your wife.
Life is truly in the details, so stick to them. Show your wife how much you love her not by buying her a huge diamond ring or a new car (though I'm sure she'd love those), but by constantly reminding her how much she means to you.
It doesn't take a whole lot of effort or even a ton of money. There are plenty of small things you can do regularly to show your soul mate just how incredibly wonderful they are. In fact, here's 20 ways you can show it!
- Gift her a song from iTunes. It doesn't even have to be a romantic song, just any song you know she'll like.
- Randomly text her a sweet message.
- Send her flowers on a non-holiday. Just because.
- Play hooky from work (or take a really long lunch break) to meet your wife somewhere for lunch. It doesn't have to be the Four Seasons; it could be something as simple as Subway.
- Let her sleep in while you get the kids ready for school.
- Tell her to go relax on the couch after dinner, while you do the dishes.
- Write "I love you" on the steamy bathroom mirror after you've taken a shower in the morning.
- Be creative! Write a poem, draw a picture, record a song. Just do something that taps into your artistic side.
- Before you leave for work, leave a small love note on the steering wheel of your wife's car.
- Send a short but sweet greeting card for no other reason than to say, "I love you."
- Run a hot bath for your wife and insist that she go relax in the tub for at least 30 minutes uninterrupted.
- Before going to bed, make sure her cell phone is charging.
- Have her coffee or tea ready in the morning.
- When she's in the shower, toss your wife's towel in the dryer for a few minutes to warm up. When she's done, personally hand it to her.
- Listen. Truly listen to her.
- Take her car to work one day and fill it up with gas.
- Compliment her hair, outfit, makeup, etc. Pick one, and mean it.
- Make the bed.
- Pick out a fun recipe, do the grocery shopping, and then cook dinner together.
- Simply say, "I love you." Often.
What small gestures does your husband do to keep the romance alive?
Photo via jm scott/Flickr