Happy Pi Day! The day we celebrate the magical mathematical constant in which the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter is approximately 3.14159etc.etc. Whatever, ask your kids about it if you can't remember. The point is, it's an excellent excuse to eat pie -- and catch up with all the big news of the week. Here are 10 stories everyone was talking about.
1. Have you seen Colin Powell's old-school selfie? He posted it on his Facebook page, a mirror shot of himself as a young man with the caption, "Throwback Thursday -- I was doing selfies 60 years before you Facebook folks. Eat your heart out Ellen!" Well played, General!
2. The mysterious Malaysia Airlines plane carrying 239 passengers is still missing. Rumors have been circulating all week. There were reports of sightings of it five hours after contact was lost with the pilots. Some suspect terrorism, some think it's been hijacked, and there's an aliens theory circulating, of course. And yesterday, China released satellite photos of what could be the crash site.
3. A car plowed into a crowd at popular festival South by Southwest (SXSW) resulting in 2 deaths and 23 injuries. The driver, 21-year-old Rashad Charjuan Owens, is believed to have been drunk at the time.
4. Game of Thrones had two surprising revelations this week: The actor who plays Hodor, Kristian Nairn, came out as gay. And the show producers announced that there will be only 7 seasons. Needless to say, people were much more alarmed by that second bit of news.
5. What a week for The Bachelor! Juan Pablo picked pediatric nurse Nikki Ferrell and they've been dating on the DL for four months. He still refuses to use the "L" word or ask her to marry him, but he had a love video made for her, so ... The JP backlash is still going strong thanks to the revelation of a hurtful comment he made to runner-up Clare Crawley. And we learned how Juan Pablo ruined his chance of appearing on Dancing With the Stars.
6. Is Obamacare working? A recent Gallup poll shows uninsured rates for low-income and black Americans are dropping. And President Obama killed while promoting his health care reforms on comedian Zach Galifianakis' show, Between Two Ferns.
7. Oscar Pistorius' murder trial has been riveting this first week. Forensics on the bullet holes and kick marks on the bathroom door were presented. When autopsy photos of his slain girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp were shown to the court, Pistorius vomited.
8. In an interview with Matt Lauer this week, Dottie Sandusky defended her husband, Jerry Sandusky. She says she still believes he's innocent.
9. New hope for migraine sufferers: The FDA just approved a headband-like device that's supposed to prevent migraines.
10. Russian troops are still occupying the Crimean peninsula in Ukraine, as citizens prepare to vote in a referendum on seceding to Russia. The US plans to impose sanctions against Russia. And Russian troops are gathering along the Ukrainian border. So yeah, tension persists in that part of the world.
What did you think about Oscar Pistorius' behavior in court this week? And how are you feeling about Juan Pablo?
Image via Historic Hillsborough/Flickr