A young boy's tragic death in Oklahoma was the freakish of freak accidents. Chris Coates, 36, was lounging in a hammock, whittling some wood with a knife, when all of a sudden, his beloved 4-year-old nephew, Bralyn Shivel, ran up and playfully gave him a shove. Reportedly, Coates fell out of the hammock, and he rolled onto his nephew. The knife he had been holding pierced the little boy's chest. Bralyn was rushed to the hospital but died. I simply can't imagine the horror!
Coates, described as Bralyn's and his siblings' "favorite uncle" and who was a "master woodworker," was visiting his family from Iowa when the accident happened. He screamed out for help as he tried to perform CPR on the toddler. Police investigated, but they say the evidence all points to a freakish and bizarre accident.
Coates has not been arrested.
This is just the most horrible thing I've ever heard. I can't imagine what Coates must be feeling -- the guilt must be terrible.
You really would never think anything like this could happen. It's odd to think that a toddler could even tip over a grown man, but if he managed to push hard enough, he would have gotten him just enough that if he was in a certain position, gravity took over and he fell.
Other reports, however, say that a string on the hammock snapped, which is what tipped the uncle over, and somehow Bralyn fell on the knife. It's unclear exactly what happened -- but clearly Bralyn and the knife got too close.
This makes you wonder about having sharp objects around kids at all. How many times a day do you hold a knife, scissors, razors, etc., and not even think about your kids because they're across the room? But then without knowing it, one could suddenly be under your feet or suddenly rush and grab you around the ankles and who knows where the sharp object goes.
Ugh, this is too awful. It shows you how quickly life can take a tragic turn. Enjoy every moment of your day with your children.
Do you ever worry about sharp objects around your children?
Image via Channel9News