A story out of Pennsylvania is as completely out there as it is tragic. A couple died after leaving their car engine running upon pulling into a Williamsport garage and having sex in their car. Keith Payton and Salina Johnson, both 40, were discovered about 9:30 p.m. on Friday, with very high levels of carbon monoxide in the garage and a kerosene heater switched on. Ugh.
As it turned out, the car had run out of gas, but the ignition switch was still on, which ultimately lead to the couple's untimely deaths. What's more, investigators found marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the car, and it appears Keith Payton and Salina Johnson may have been using drugs at the time, the coroner told local news station WNEP. So sad.
This is actually the third similar incident in recent days, with a couple in Utah dying while cleaning carpets on Saturday and leaving their van running in a shut garage while tending to a home. And late last month, a young couple in New Jersey suffered a similar fate. Horrible.
In this case, it's unfortunate, but we can't discount that drugs played a role. Perhaps Payton and Johnson's alleged, possible highs were so intense that it impaired their ability to realize that they shouldn't have been in the garage with the ignition on. Still, that doesn't make what happened here any less horrific and heart-rending. No one would wish a fate like this upon anyone. We can only hope news of these incidents makes people more aware of basic car safety -- and apparent dangers.
Do you think these recent events signal a need for greater awareness about car safety or are they just a coincidence?
Image via qmnonic/Flickr