Marijuana Cookie Sends 2-Year-Old to Hospital Days After Pot Is Legalized

OMG 56

Just days after Colorado legalized the sale of recreational marijuana, a 2-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital because she accidentally ingested a cookie that contained the drug. Aida Hernandez said she believes her toddler daughter picked up the treat, which looked brown, "like a chocolate chip cookie," outside of their apartment door. The mom claims she herself doesn't use marijuana, but that it's "everywhere" now that it's legal in her home state. Mom knew something was up when she noticed her child was opening and closing her eyes while asleep, couldn't walk well, and seemed weak. At the hospital, the girl tested positive for THC -- much to her mom's shock.

Is this just the first of many more stories we can expect to emerge about the dangers of marijuana since its legalization in certain areas? 

Based on the details that have come out so far, we have no reason to believe the mom was at fault here or that this was anything but an unfortunate accident. Kids pick up things from the ground. They eat them. The fact that mom didn't notice her daughter bring a strange cookie in from the outdoors is a little odd, but stranger things have happened. 

What you have to wonder though is how many witch hunt-type reports will surface or be exaggerated after Colorado took this progressive step to legalize marijuana. In my opinion, there's no reason why the drug shouldn't be regarded in the same way as prescription drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes are in the home. I have to be honest: all of the people I know who smoke pot -- including several with children -- are as vigilant about it as one can possibly be. They don't just leave the drug or paraphernalia out for a baby to play with. They store their supplies on a high shelf, in a closet, or securely locked away in a safe.

People smoked marijuana long before it became legal. All this law does is regulate the sales -- it doesn't put our children at a greater risk for harm. Anyone who would have done something reckless and stupid with marijuana -- like leave it for a child to find and accidentally ingest -- would have acted this way with or without a law to protect his or her right to buy pot.  

Do you feel the legalization of marijuana poses a threat to the safety of children? 

 

Image via warrantedarrest/Flickr

accidents, in the news, drugs, marijuana

56 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

nonmember avatar LISA

I. AM. LIVID!!!!!!! This is the parent's fault not the marijuana's!!! How dare this piece of crap mother leave her baby unsupervised and blame some sh!t like this on marijuana legalization -- SOMETHING THIS COUNTRY DESPERATELY NEEDS!!

nonmember avatar LISA

I. AM. LIVID!!!!!!! This is the parent's fault not the marijuana's!!! How dare this piece of crap mother leave her baby unsupervised and blame some sh!t like this on marijuana legalization -- SOMETHING THIS COUNTRY DESPERATELY NEEDS!!

adamat34 adamat34

And it begins......

Im.pretty sure the marijuana has something to do with it....if it were a regular chocolate chip cookie, the child wouldn't have needed medical care.

You idiots.

nonmember avatar Toni

and This Is Any Different Than The Thousands Of Children Hospitalized EverY Year For Accidentally Injesting Their Parents Liquor Or Pills?? Which Btw, Is A Crap Ton More Dangerous Than The Thc In The Cookie....Point Is Two Years Explore The World Mouths First, Watch Your kids

nonmember avatar Sarah

So it's ok to just let your kids pick up cookies off the ground and eat them and then blame other people for what was in it? Sounds to me like she is a little neglectful for not throwing the cookie out and letting her 2 year old eat it! If she knew what it looked like and where it was...on the ground...and still let her eat it to me is just plain stupid and irresponsible!

mamar... mamarosebug

Yes because if it was a regular cookie it'd be ok to pick it up off the ground and eat it....what kind of mom doesn't notice/pay attention to that?!?!!? Its totally the moms fault, not the weed!

Leah Christy

marijuana never killed anyone you might want to let it wear off and just put that kid to bed early

nonmember avatar The Truth

This is what happens when you let your kids eat cookies people!

nonmember avatar LISA

I would go bat sh!t crazy without my medication -- MARIJUANA!! Oh wait I know, no I should take Xanax and other pharmaceuticals so that I'm a freaking zombie!!!!!! Shut your piehole adamat34!!!! Unless it affects you in any way shape or form .. shut it!!

nonmember avatar LISA

What kind of "parent" let's their baby eat any freaking thing off the ground!!!??? What if I stepped in dog crap then rubbed my shoe off in the grass ...then someone dropped the cookie then you let your baby eat it!!! You know what YEAH RIGHT! This baby probably got into mother's stash and is trying to blame it on someone else!!! Watch your kid!!!!!¡!!!!!

1-10 of 56 comments 12345 Last