A 48-page report was released Monday afternoon detailing some of the police response to the Sandy Hook shooting almost a year ago. It is not considered a full police report, but more a summary of the investigation thus far.
After an 11-month investigation, the Connecticut State Police were unable to determine a motive for Adam Lanza’s murderous rampage and suicide in Newtown last year.
So far, officials have kept much of their findings under wraps. This new report was drawn from the file of the investigation, which is some 2,000 pages long, and it was heavily redacted.
More from The Stir: Quick Thinking of 6-Year-Old Sandy Hook Victim Helped Save 6 of His Classmates
The Connecticut Legislature passed bills shortly after the shooting to limit what information could be released to the public, and the state has fought to keep the recordings of the 911 calls from inside the school from being made public.
Here’s what we do know:
- Four days before the shooting, Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy cooked some of his favorite meals for him, and then left for a three-day venture to New Hampshire.
- The day before the shooting, a GPS device places Lanza in the vicinity of Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- On the morning of December 14, 2012, Lanza shot and killed his mother in her bed at close range with a .22-caliber rifle. The gun was later found by her bedside.
- He went to the school with 30-round magazines for a Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle and several other weapons, and blasted his way through the front entrance.
- It took less than five minutes to shoot off 154 rounds from the rifle. He killed 20 first graders and six faculty members.
- Lanza then took his own life with a pistol.
- He acted alone.
- Digital media that appears to have belonged to Lanza showed an obsession with mass shootings, especially the 1999 Columbine High School shooting in Littleton, Colorado.
The report isn’t surprising -- it seemed fairly obvious that Lanza acted with intent. The lingering question of why remains though, and sadly, it’s one we’ll probably never have an answer to.
Do you think we'll ever know what his motive was or if he even had one?
Image via Claudia Sims/Flickr