Police have cornered a gunman who stormed a Navy base in Washington, D.C. and opened fire. The latest reports say 12 people were shot, and at least four of the victims are dead. Reportedly at least two victims were police officers. The shooter opened fire at approximately 8:20 a.m. at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building on the Washington Navy Yard. The shooter is believed to be barricaded on the grounds of the Navy Yard. Some reports say that there are at least two shooters.
The gunman is reportedly "heavily armed" with at least one assault weapon, an AR15.
Reportedly, an employee heard "blam blam" inside the building before someone pulled the fire alarm. The shooter, described as a black male with a dark complexion, approximately 5'10" to 6 feet tall, 170 pounds with a black shirt and black hat, is apparently inside the building, locked in a room.
The Navy Yard has issued a "shelter in place" order, which means there must still be terrified people within the building. And terrified families waiting to hear word of loved ones.
It's getting to the point where we can't go a few weeks without a mass shooting. It's horrible. It's embarrassing to the country. And yet many would say that the solution is "good guys" with guns. Well, the Navy Yard was presumably stacked with law enforcement. This didn't stop a gunman from opening fire and killing several people.
We do not yet know who the shooter or shooters are -- whether the person worked at the Navy Yard in some capacity or not. Whether he or they were military. What his or their motive was. But with the killer cornered, we will find out these answers soon enough.
- Reports have identified the gunman as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old Fort Worth, Texas man who recently began working at the Navy Yard in Washington D.C. as a civilian contractor. He has reportedly been arrested in 2010 on a weapons charge. He reportedly snuck into the secure building with someone else's ID card. Another report describes him as a former avionics electrician with the U.S. Navy.
- Alexis was killed in a gun battle with police.
- Alexis reportedly killed 12 people. (Some reports say 13.) Additionally, at least 14 people were injured.
- Reportedly there might be a suspect still on the loose who may have had a part in the shooting. An earlier person of interest was cleared.
-Alexis is being described by news reports as a Navy reservist.
- Law enforcement is still on the lookout for a possible second suspect, who was seen on surveillance video wearing military fatigues.
- There is still no known motive.
What do you think about these mass shootings?
Image via ABC News
Do it yourself
Concierge service through your credit card